Flashplayer And Icewasel

astromech_kuhns

Well, i have been searching for about an hour now and havent come up with the correct answer.

i cant get flashplayer to work with iceweasel. i just installed the newest version of debian and was liking it. from what i can tell from my searching they take the repositories for flashplayer out because its closed source so its not "secure". i have tried adding some multimedia repository, using apt-get flashplugin-nonfree, flashplugin-mozzilla i have tried a couple other flash players and none seem to work. under /usr/lib/iceweasel there is no plugins folder. so i cant drag the .so file into it.

i would like to learn how to do this, as i like debian, but its these little things that make me mad when using a system.

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/otherversions/

Select Linux, and a package you feel comfortable with.

Personally, I install Opera on Linux and Flash works without a hitch for me.

Forgot to mention my system is 64 bit.

I read that using one of those ubuntu .deb or .apt can cause instability when used on debian which i thought was weird. it was said you also wouldnt get updates or something? also, the .tar.gz gives you the .so file and iceweasel doesnt have a /plugin folder. the closest thing it has is a /searchplugins folder.

Try:

"sudo mkdir /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins" and "sudo cp /usr/lib/flashplugin-nonfree/libflashplayer.so /usr/lib/iceweasel/plugins"

via http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/debian-26/iceweasel-flash-plugin-692082/#post3971718

Well,

That worked. I know iceweasel is supposed to be exactly like firefox, but i wasnt sure if the plugins folder it uses was different possible. i think firefox comes with it already. moving the .so file in even on firefox has only worked half the time for me anyway. im glad that its done now. thank you!

I really appreciate all the help i get on these forums. you guys are awesome!

What are the benefits of using Iceweasel instead of firefox?

None, which is why I use Opera. /Opera FanBoi Saracasm, Flame On!

http://wiki.debian.org/Iceweasel

Edited by digip

I just use Opera and Chrome, they are just the best browsers out there. Flame on!!!!!

I myself prefer a Gecko browser like Firefox over Chrome or Opera. Does Iceweasel have an about:config? similar to that of Firefox? Perhaps you might try that for help with flashplayer and Iceweasel.