Need To Add Data To A File Format

dr_pardee

I have a file format that I need to be able to alter to achieve interoperability with a third party's software product proprietary format (ex. Microsoft Word, infamous *.doc)

The product is Avid Media Composer's User Setting's File (*.avs).

I'm in the process of working with Avid to get the file format specs, but until then, I need to add functionality now.

Essentially I want a light parser, probably written in C, to open the file, dump the contents to a new file and add a setting that I need, which I can elaborate on later.

If anyone is up for the challenge, I can offer a small bounty and I'll provide sample files and my notes thus far.

I don't think this should take very long for someone familiar with Hex Editing and C.

Eric

I have a file format that I need to be able to alter to achieve interoperability with a third party's software product proprietary format (ex. Microsoft Word, infamous *.doc)

The product is Avid Media Composer's User Setting's File (*.avs).

I'm in the process of working with Avid to get the file format specs, but until then, I need to add functionality now.

Essentially I want a light parser, probably written in C, to open the file, dump the contents to a new file and add a setting that I need, which I can elaborate on later.

If anyone is up for the challenge, I can offer a small bounty and I'll provide sample files and my notes thus far.

I don't think this should take very long for someone familiar with Hex Editing and C.

Eric

If you want compatibility with ms, unless there is a library for it, you are talking a whole lot of work. I usually just create a text file and import it into word or the like. Not sure what you are trying to achieve.

If you want compatibility with ms, unless there is a library for it, you are talking a whole lot of work. I usually just create a text file and import it into word or the like. Not sure what you are trying to achieve.

I want a light parser, probably written in C, to open the Avid Media Composer's User Setting's File (*.avs), dump the contents to a new file and add a setting that I need. In the binary avs file, I can see the structure of settings, so I know what needs to be added. My reference to MS was just an example of data reversing.

In case anyone is interested, here are some notes.

I made two files (unzip the archives):

ORIGINAL.zip, http://www.megaupload.com/?d=CUBFL9KQ - Original Avid User Settings which are generated by the system for each User

AddedERICsetting.zip, http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ZKG7E0HU - I created an Export setting called ERIC

In looking at the settings with ERIC and comparing them to the Original (I used Hex Workshop in Windows), ignoring timestamp differences, I think that the ERIC Export setting was inserted at 0x000134B0 and ends at 0x00014504. If you look at it in ASCII, it says DomainDJBO and I believe 6 bytes prior to that is the size of the forth coming data (setting)? This is where my lack of file structures comes in :(. Screenshot attached.

If you want to verify the files, you can download a 30 day trial of Avid Media Composer from here:

http://www.avid.com/US/support/downloads/media-composer-trial

post-32672-0-70552300-1301616604_thumb.j

• 4 weeks later...

I want a light parser, probably written in C, to open the Avid Media Composer's User Setting's File (*.avs), dump the contents to a new file and add a setting that I need. In the binary avs file, I can see the structure of settings, so I know what needs to be added. My reference to MS was just an example of data reversing.

Are you trying to do something similar to StegHide?