How To Access Headless Linux On Spare Cpu ?

h4x0r

Hi All,

I want to learn / study Linux by using my spare HP Desktop dc7700 PC without monitor (headless) so I wonder if the following scenario is working with Ubuntu / KUbuntu Linux:

networkn.jpg

The ultimate goal is to be able to connect to the Linux server using VNC from the Windows Server and then scan the wireless LAN for weak password with aircrack or any other tools from (http://sectools.org/wireless.html) because I know that windows cannot be used for such thing anymore.

I have setup BT 4u1 before but then I give up since I cannot make the USB WLAN working or get the IP address :-|

but so far I have tried using Ubuntu for daily testing but not serious hacking and security matter.

Thanks

SSH would be my first port of call and them if I need GUI access I would look at forwarding X over SSH.

Yes I do need GUI access, so what are my option if VNC is slow ?

I'm not familiar with forwarding X desktop thru SSH

Yes I do need GUI access, so what are my option if VNC is slow ?

I'm not familiar with forwarding X desktop thru SSH

It will not forward the full desktop, only GUI applications. There is an episode on SSH with X11 forwarding.

I really dont understand the point of the setup in the picture above. Especially with all the internal AP? Seems a little shady imo.

Edited by Mr-Protocol

The ultimate goal is to be able to connect to the Linux server using VNC from the Windows Server and then scan the wireless LAN for weak password with aircrack or any other tools from (http://sectools.org/wireless.html) because I know that windows cannot be used for such thing anymore.

There are tools that you can use for cracking WEP/WPA keys on Windows, its just a matter of looking around.

But Backtrack will be the best choice for wireless pen-testing.

Now there is no need to log onto a Windows Machine, in order to RDP into a Linux machine.

Make matters simple for you, by loading backtrack on a laptop with a wireless adapter and from there do the password auditing.