Nvidia Optimus?

Mr-Protocol

A few episodes ago, Darren mentioned a linux issue with NVIDIA Optimus. But my question is and maybe he answered this, does linux detect and use NVIDIA card at all or does it get stuck with only using the Intel chipset one and since the Optimus is a windows thing you are stuck?

Pretty much I am looking to buy a new laptop for linux with 4-6GB RAM with an i5, NVIDIA GPU, but should I avoid Optimus like the plague? I almost seem so. Input is welcome.

Yes, I am aware of the lack of linux support. And after some discussion on IRC you pretty much get stuck using the Intel video instead of the NVIDIA. They say the card still functions but you should turn it off in BIOS to save battery. So pretty much you got to live without the compiz eye candy.

Yes, I am aware of the lack of linux support. And after some discussion on IRC you pretty much get stuck using the Intel video instead of the NVIDIA. They say the card still functions but you should turn it off in BIOS to save battery. So pretty much you got to live without the compiz eye candy.

That really sucks, and that is a shame on them.