Uptime

Mad Pierre

My last PC did 1.5 years straight. It may now sleep in eternal peace.

I think your all mad, my record up time is about 6 hours but I was much younger then.

The only time I ever shut it down was for hardware maintenance.

main home box: 12:29:16 up 184 days, 2:31, 3 users, load average: 0.15, 0.03, 0.01

vps: 17:36:21 up 593 days, 22:26, 1 user, load average: 0.76, 0.50, 0.35

^(my best so far...still going strong) B)

(shit is so due for a reboot tho)

Edited by foo

Bless you Infiltrator, my comment was a sexual pun.

Ohhh, now I got what you mean! Good for you, I wish I could too

My home server was around 180 days and then we had a power outage (no UPS) so it broke my heart a little. At my last job there was an old windows 95 box hooked up to some lab equipment and it was over 4 years if I remember correctly. Will try and get one of the guys there to take a *pic (no screenshot i'd hate to see it crash. Would be like murder)

*Some of these claims seriously need pics if they are just your everyday desktop. Hundreds of days up time on a server is pretty easy, but on a plain old desktop I am skeptical. Not because of stability reasons, but updates and the such. If you refuse to update just to keep uptime high then you're an idiot.

Edited by wh1t3 and n3rdy

*Some of these claims seriously need pics if they are just your everyday desktop. Hundreds of days up time on a server is pretty easy, but on a plain old desktop I am skeptical. Not because of stability reasons, but updates and the such. If you refuse to update just to keep uptime high then you're an idiot.

so, obviously, you're referring to my post..? i wouldn't be so quick to make that assumption. i get around my kernel update reboots with ksplice. sure, i have to restart X every once n a while for some crazy ass weird reason, but it's not that hard to get that uptime on a desktop linux box, imo. even if i didn't do a lot of os related updates, it wouldn't be a huge deal. if ones firewall is properly setup, who gives a shit. ya, some of it has to do with having good uptime...not going to lie there, but a majority of the reason is that i just don't have to. though, typically around this amount of uptime, i do have to reboot. so it'll happen soon ;)

so, obviously, you're referring to my post..? i wouldn't be so quick to make that assumption. i get around my kernel update reboots with ksplice. sure, i have to restart X every once n a while for some crazy ass weird reason, but it's not that hard to get that uptime on a desktop linux box, imo. even if i didn't do a lot of os related updates, it wouldn't be a huge deal. if ones firewall is properly setup, who gives a shit. ya, some of it has to do with having good uptime...not going to lie there, but a majority of the reason is that i just don't have to. though, typically around this amount of uptime, i do have to reboot. so it'll happen soon ;)

I wasn't referring to anyone's post in particular. I don't use windows except for at work so decent uptimes aren't all that unbelievable. For a everyday windows desktop box connected to the net, receiving updates etc though I would be highly skeptical. I'm a sysadmin so I am all for massive uptimes.

Now with my 2 or 3 years old PC, I tend to leave it on stand by, rather than leaving it switched on over night consuming electricity.

The only time I leave it on, is for downloading TV shows.