So, What Exactly Is In A Phone Tech's Toolkit These Days?

moyam01

I remember being a kid and wanting more than anything one of those orange phones that techs carried around to test POTS systems (what were those called again). So in 2011, what is the stuff composing a phone technicians toolkit. I tried on-line but had no luck.

I remember being a kid and wanting more than anything one of those orange phones that techs carried around to test POTS systems (what were those called again). So in 2011, what is the stuff composing a phone technicians toolkit. I tried on-line but had no luck.

Often referred to as a butt/buttinski/rugabutt/bluebutt dependent on the manufacturer and/or model.

ebay has them : http://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-Test-Butt-Set-Sets-Lineman-Telephone-Phone-/320578747250?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item4aa3fb7b72

You mean a line mans handset?

It's basically a beige box, a phone with alligator clips to clip into a line

It has a few other built in testing functions such as line voltages etc...alligator clips and probes for testing the circuits on mdf's ...