Learning Code

convulution

OK, what type of applications do you intend to build?

Is what you are really saying is you need to learn the syntax of a computer language? Just use a web search engine?

The simplest program is a "to do" list. Coding is generally pretty easy. It's learning how to describe what you want to do that is the hard part. Write down in English what you want to do as well as describe input, output format, and storage definitions for the data you want to manipulate. Then it is just a matter of substituting programming language command or syntax in place of your English statements. Does that make any sense?

http://www.targetprocess.com/blog/2006/06/7-steps-of-agile-system-analysis.html

See thats my problem to. is that i can know what i want done, and i can learn languages pretty well, i just dont know where to go to get a list of all the commands, or where to see the description of the kinds of commands. i did some programming for my robotics team and i got some pneumatics solenoids working but it wasnt until i understood what i could type in that i was able to make a function.....

See thats my problem to. is that i can know what i want done, and i can learn languages pretty well, i just dont know where to go to get a list of all the commands, or where to see the description of the kinds of commands. i did some programming for my robotics team and i got some pneumatics solenoids working but it wasnt until i understood what i could type in that i was able to make a function.....

The popular languages these days (PHP, Ruby, Python, Java, C/C++, etc.) all have well documented online references for all the standard libraries/modules and their functions.

It sounds like you have had either no teacher or bad teachers. I would recommend checkout out the stuff in Step 1 of my wiki page. http://couch.it/K4SzyQ4k/

The Richard Buckland videos aren't the same as having a teacher/tutor in-person to explain it to you, but it's the next best thing (as far as I have seen).

The Elements of Computing Systems (TECS) is also a great introduction for people who have some programming knowledge but haven't yet jumped the gap from theory to practice. I teach the TECS course every Wednesday night at HacDC.

It's a very common problem to find people who have had a year or two of formal programming lessons and are competent at their assignments but feel helpless when they're trying to do stuff on their own. There is a lot of discussion and theory about it, but I think that any way you cut it the teacher is to blame. Learning to program is no more difficult than learning to read or write, if it's taught properly.

• 2 weeks later...