Buying A New Conputer

Jamo

Does windows/linux support sandy bridge.

It seems that ubuntu has some issues with sandy bridge. It seems to be fixed in ubuntu 101.02 Alpha 2.

Does windows vista/7 support it well?

Does windows/linux support sandy bridge.

It seems that ubuntu has some issues with sandy bridge. It seems to be fixed in ubuntu 101.02 Alpha 2.

Does windows vista/7 support it well?

I've not heard of any issues with the sandybridge lineup other than manufacturing defects and mobo component defects(just check the boards you guy first), but as far as processor goes, it will work fine with Windows 7. Intel doesn't make desktop chips that won't work with windows. Thats who 99% of their market is for anyway.

news - http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-20030070-64.html

Edited by digip

Officially launched at this year's CES, Sandy Bridge--or "Second Generation Intel Core Processor"--is the first mainstream Intel chip to integrate graphics silicon directly onto the processor. It is also the first chip line based fully on Intel's leading-edge 32-nanometer manufacturing process. These two features allow Intel to offer a power-efficient processor with improved multimedia and gaming capabilities.

That above is from link in last post. Graphics is integrated to cpu.

You could buy my computer for $1400

AMD Phenom II X6 1100T (SIX CORES) Black Edition 3.3Ghz (runs at 3.9 no problem)

ASUS M4A88T-M/USB3 AM3 AMD 880G HDMI USB 3.0 Micro ATX Motherboard

Gskill 16GB DDR3 1333(4x4GB)

Sapphire 5870 1GB with 2 DVI, 1 HDMI and 1 DisplayPort

Western Digital 300GB Velociraptor 10k rpm

Hitachi 2TB 7200rpm SATA Drive

Cooler Master 700W power supply

Cooler Master Elite 341 Micro-atx mid tower with 4 120MM Fans

Corsair H50 Water Cooling Kit

Scythe Kaze Master 5.25" Fan Controller

Sony DVD+-RW SATA Driver

Thanks for the tip, its a bit over my budget.

It was 400€ at beginning and Im spending 650€ for

i7 2600 280€

Asus P8H7-M PRO B3 matx board 105€

8 gb ram 92€

1Tb 7200rpm hdd 55€

500W-620W powersupply 55€

A case.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

It shows, that i7 2600, is faster than phenom II x6 1100T, may be different for overclocking.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php

It shows, that i7 2600, is faster than phenom II x6 1100T, may be different for overclocking.

The difference in speed will be negligable and not worth the extra money, but that is just my opinion. Price per performance wins out for me, since I can still do everything you would with your i7, and at a fraction of the costs. Good luck with the build, post some pics when you get it all together.

Ok this what you need to know about gaming and CPU's

You want the process with the most raw power and smallest die.

a 4 core AMD will out perform a 6 core AMD when gaming.

i5 will whoop the shit of out an AMD 4 core and will cost the same.

So i5 + AMD Graphics card = win.

If you want proof my suggestion look no further than: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/2

But now you need to HOLD YOUR HORSES as Bulldozer is just around the corer, and its a game changer. When it comes expect PRICE DROPS.

Ok this what you need to know about gaming and CPU's

You want the process with the most raw power and smallest die.

a 4 core AMD will out perform a 6 core AMD when gaming.

i5 will whoop the shit of out an AMD 4 core and will cost the same.

So i5 + AMD Graphics card = win.

If you want proof my suggestion look no further than: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/CPU/2

But now you need to HOLD YOUR HORSES as Bulldozer is just around the corer, and its a game changer. When it comes expect PRICE DROPS.

The i5 might outperform in some benchmarks, but the noticeable difference to the end user is negligible unless doing specific tasks such as rendering Video like x264 or 7zip compressing files, which in most cases the AMD chips outperform the Intels. Also, the i5 is not only more expensive then the AMD Quad core, its the same if not mroe than the Phenom II x6 in most cases, just depends on where you buy it.

Well yesterday i got i7 2600, asus P8 H67 PRO B3 mobo etc. I managed to install it myself to Antec Three Hundred case.

It works really well.

I even got win 7 hp 64bit running, I downloaded msdn iso image from non-Microsoft site. SHA1 matched.

My HP's vista to Win7 key activated that 64bit install.

BTW how warm should my new processors to be, its been running 25-58C.

I havent yet installed ubuntu.

EDIT:

I had to get bigger cooler for cpu, default one was too weak. Now temps are 28-60C much better.

Thaks for everyone helping me buying a new pc.

Edited by Jarmo