Home Virtualization Solutions

Masteroc

Been watching the show for a while, many virutalization solutions have been shown so far. I'm just wondering what you guys think is the "best" (subjective I know) solution for some home virtualization. I was leaning towards proxmox, but it looks a bit...beta-y...if that explains anything :P. I doubt that i'll need to move vm's around, so that feature is kinda useless for me. I don't mind working in Windows or Linux. I have used VMware server before, and it was alright. Haven't tried VirtualBox yet. So again, just wondering what you guys thought the pros and cons of these three solutions might be for a home user (simple pentesting on my own network machines, playing around with new OS's, maybe a webserver, etc.).

Thanks

I think it depends what you want to keep as your main OS, with Win I would say VMware, with Linux it is free so VirtualBox. I just set up one on a VMware bridged connection that works but need to perfect it a lil' more. So think to yourself which OS do you want your main system to run on, Windows or Linux. I chose Windows because of the apps I need to use daily that Linux does not have as good or not have at all.

Go with VMware EXSI, it does not depend on an OS to run and can run on its own. The advantage is that the VMs have direct access to the hardware, whereas if you run VirtualBox it must shares resources between itself and the VMs.

It performs better however it requires a compatible hardware, in addition ProxMox will run in almost any hardware and in a way it works the same way as VMware EXSI, it does not rely on an OS already installed.

I use XEN as my personal choice of hypervisor, nice and effective and I can do most things from the command line over ssh. The latter being a must for me as I don't want to be running GUIs that aren't required on a server.

I use XEN as my personal choice of hypervisor, nice and effective and I can do most things from the command line over ssh. The latter being a must for me as I don't want to be running GUIs that aren't required on a server.

Agree, GUIs are a great but they are not as effective and flexible as CLI. And from a security point of view, they can also make the system less secure.

Edited by Infiltrator