Ip4 Vs Ip6

I am new to IP6, does anyone have good ideas or tutorials and such on switching from IP4 to IP version 6? Is there a calculator that you can type your IP4 on and then it translates it to IP6, how do you setup your home network on IP6? is it more secure? Yeah, I could probuly google each question, but I would rather have Hak5 results show up on the google search as number one.

You should keep your home lan in ipv4. Easiest way to start using ipv6 sites it to install miredo(for Linux) or something similarly named for windows.

Probably ipv6 will give you a lot of security risks since your firewall may not be configured for ipv6.

Ipv4 and ipv6 are 2 separate things. So you shoud use both of them.

A lot of companies will be sticking with IPv4 internally as there is no need for 6. Just on the Internet but for a guide I like ITIdiots vids

http://83.170.75.178/shows/podcasts/ITidiotsL72.mp4

http://www.itidiots.com/itidiots/

Episode 72: IPv6 Essentials

12/21/2009

Well IPv4 isn't gonna last forever, and yes I know people have been saying that for ages but we are getting closer to the end. In this episode we take a look at IPv6 and describe some of the key differences. Get ready now and stay ahead of the crowd.

I am new to IP6, does anyone have good ideas or tutorials and such on switching from IP4 to IP version 6? Is there a calculator that you can type your IP4 on and then it translates it to IP6, how do you setup your home network on IP6? is it more secure? Yeah, I could probuly google each question, but I would rather have Hak5 results show up on the google search as number one.

http://ipv6.he.net/certification/ - Kind of cool to get you started along the ipv6 path.

If you just want connectivity for a machine, use a teredo tunnel or something. Otherwise, I wouldn't make exactly switch from ipv4 to 6. Run dual stack. For sure stick with ipv4 internally. You do start to learn your ipv6 address after you type it in a few times... But to remember each host? Yeah stick with ipv4 internally.

Look up ipv6 videos, a lot of people have tried their hand at explaining it. I think it took me 2 or 3 videos plus a couple of random different articles to understand the basics.

I plan on writing my experience up once my setup is complete. I wish there were more guides out there. Surprisingly there still isn't..