Adding A 2wire Router To A Network

bmdsherman

Depends entirely on your schools network set up. If it lets you plug any device in then you could set it up to work, you would have to play with the settings on it though as you will probably want to either bridge the wireless with the wired network or set up the wireless router to do NAT for devices connected to it.

As always make sure you have permission to do this or you may find yourself getting disciplined for attaching unauthorized devices to their network.

Yeah, networking team gets angry on my college campus if you plug in an AP. But we also have all over coverage so it's not a problem. But any rogue access points they triangulate, hunt down, and take care of. It would probably be better for you to contact your school's network admin or help desk to provide a solution for better coverage instead of taking things in your own hands.

Yeah, just take it up to your sys admin, explain it to him and then make some recommendations to improve the wireless performance. But you shouldn't really plug in anything into the network without the sys admin approval.

• 3 weeks later...

As always make sure you have permission to do this or you may find yourself getting disciplined for attaching unauthorized devices to their network.

Yeah, just take it up to your sys admin, explain it to him and then make some recommendations to improve the wireless performance. But you shouldn't really plug in anything into the network without the sys admin approval.

My school's it people really don't care and I do have teacher approval to do this so I'm not worried about getting in trouble.

Depends entirely on your schools network set up. If it lets you plug any device in then you could set it up to work, you would have to play with the settings on it though as you will probably want to either bridge the wireless with the wired network or set up the wireless router to do NAT for devices connected to it.

From playing around I figured out that from the Ethernet port in the wall, I can connect to the internet. My problem is converting the 2wire dls modem/router to run in router only mode.

Thanks for your help!