Need A Little Help With Pineapple.

Got my new pineapple v2 and started to play around with it.

i installed a linux VM on my macbook for it, i connected the pineapple to the lan nic and shared my wireless card.

i can ping from the device to the internet. the network is all set.

i looged into the gui on port 1471 and i see a client in the client list.

however:

the client is connected to a SSID called pineapple (the name of the pineapple's SSID) and not to a network he remembers.

it looks im not really a MITM.

what am i doing wrong?

regards.

First thanks for the response.

i have looked in the pined messages for a relevant setup guide, couldn't understand which one to you, if anyone can reefer to a specific link it would be great.

i will try to explain the problem i think i have:

i changed the SSID of the pineapple to be called "FREEWIFI", so far so good.

i have a testing laptop that was connected before to my home wifi, say it has an SSID called "HOMENET"

i logged into pineapple on port 1471 and turned on karma.

i turned in the wifi on the testing laptop, expected it to think it is connected to HOMENET but actualy be connected to FREEWIFI.

what actually happened is that the testing laptop couldn't connect to HOMENET (it was down...) so he connected to FREEWIFI instead.

im trying to understand what is wrong in my setup.

regards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

thats your problem, it will try to connect then won't be able to complete the encryption handshake so will fail and disconnect again.

I am a bit confused by this.

Let us imagine that a client (Andrew) is connecting to the Fon which is connected to via ethernet cable to my laptop. I am then connected to a WPA network called HelloNet for which I have the key so I am able to use its internet.

Am I right to think that because Andrew does not have the key to HelloNet that any requests he makes for webpages will not work even though I (the bridge) can use HelloNet because I have the key?

Thanks.

The client will not connect to your fon if they have the "HelloNet" in their list of AP's. The fon can only accept open/non-encrypted broadcast connections.

Let us imagine that the client has previously connected to ten networks.

5 with WPA, 3 with WEP, and two coffee shop networks that were unencrypted.

Am I right to think that the client will go through all their networks and then connect to the Fon based on one of the two unencrypted networks?

If so, to return to my original question, would the client have internet access considering me (the laptop) has the key to HelloNet and not the client?

Thanks again.

"The client will not connect to your fon if they have the "HelloNet" in their list of AP's. The fon can only accept open/non-encrypted broadcast connections."

I'm a bit confused by this remark. I thought the whole point of Karma was that it responded by claiming it was the SSID the client wants. So why does it matter whether or not the client has HelloNet in their list of APs?

Thanks again!

I'm really new to this but I think you guys are having trouble understanding one an other. So allow me to try (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

OP-

Lets say Noob1 connected to an open AP and saved it. In the same area Noob2 connected to an encrypted AP and saved it. These are the only AP each have saved. Noob1's laptop will try to connect to it's saved unencrypted AP and the FON will say "that's me" but Noob2's laptop wont because the saved network it has is encrypted. Now if Noob3 has both of these AP's it will connect to your fon as if your FON was the unencrypted connection.

Again I"m new to this and I only picked that up off what Mr/ P was saying if I'm wrong please call me out on it.

I'm really new to this but I think you guys are having trouble understanding one an other. So allow me to try (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)

OP-

Lets say Noob1 connected to an open AP and saved it. In the same area Noob2 connected to an encrypted AP and saved it. These are the only AP each have saved. Noob1's laptop will try to connect to it's saved unencrypted AP and the FON will say "that's me" but Noob2's laptop wont because the saved network it has is encrypted. Now if Noob3 has both of these AP's it will connect to your fon as if your FON was the unencrypted connection.

Again I"m new to this and I only picked that up off what Mr/ P was saying if I'm wrong please call me out on it.

What you said about "noobx" and so on is true.