Buying A Smartphone, But Which One!

Infiltrator

Hey Dudes,

I am searching to buy a new smartphone but not sure if I should get the new Nokia N8 or an Android.

Well, was hoping someone could advise or recommend which smartphone is the best.

Thank you in advance.

Its one of the aged old questions. Comes down to, what do you need from the device. If all you really need is phone calls, email, and an address book, get something simple. If you are looking to root the phone and put on custom apps, get an android. If you want to install something like BackTrack, I think its the n810 or n900 that someone posted instructions on how to install and configure for the device. Personally, I would just wait a bit until they work out some new phones with Honeycomb, and then see how they hold up to the rest in the field.

I'm still rocking my outdated BB Curve 8330, but all I use it for is to receive email, get on the web occasionally, text, and normal phone. I have an ssh client and an irc client on it, but thats more for entertainment purposes and checking on my site from time to time, in the event it emails me its under attack, I can at least logon to my site and block the offending IP(s).

One thing I would like in my next phone though, is a better camera/higher res video, and easy tethering without paying for third party tools, like TetherBerry, which while it does work, I should be able to just do this sort of thing on the phone itself if I'm already paying for the data plan.

I am a big fan of the HD2 wm6.5 and 1GZ snapdragon processor make very good unit.

The new windows 7 phones are not smart phones, they are mere iphonyes.

http://www.htc.com/e...2/overview.html

Or

Desire Z

http://www.htc.com/europe/product/desirez/overview.html

Desire + keyboard = Win

Edited by buffy

One thing I would like in my next phone though, is a better camera/higher res video, and easy tethering without paying for third party tools, like TetherBerry, which while it does work, I should be able to just do this sort of thing on the phone itself if I'm already paying for the data plan.

That's one of the nice things I like about the new Nokia N8, the camera offers superb picture and video quality. However I wish they dropped their OS in favor to a linux os. Its just too sluggish but it still does a good job.

However I am not sure if tethering does a good job, I think I am going to buy it and give it a try and see it for myself.

Thanks Digip.