wireless over distance

OtterFox

ok im new here. hak.5 rocks :)

what i want to do is make a wireless thing to connect my and my mates networks up over 2-3km

and make it so he can share my internet (coz im kind and he has a 1GB cap!)

how would i do this and how much would it cost?

please help

You are going to need some directional wireless equipment, it's not exacly cheap. http://www.hyperlinktech.com/ have lots of equipment and you need a direct line of sight for most of the equipment to work. You will need one of the antenas at both ends, prefrably connected to APs so that the networks can integrate seemlessly (if you trust your firend to effectivly be on your LAN all the time).

Does any body know how widly supported so called network bridging is supported by APs?

(By network bridging, I mean connecting two remote locations to each other using two APs which is transparrent to the computers on either of the networks)

ok i found this:

Anyone can build an antenna for Wifi. An ordinary Wok will make a reflector as will an umbrella with a metallic film or even a Pringles canister if you want to fiddle around.

What you want is a directional antenna with minimal side spillage and therein lies the rub. Without giving too much away, the reflector should be parabolic in both axis with about 7 degree or less beam width and 20dB or more gain (similar to what we offer) You should be able to polarise the signal to minimise noise from other transmitters in your path. Orienting the antenna at 45 degrees also helps.

VOIP across Lake Taupo in NZ using ordinary laptops and PCs ?over 30km ?has been easily achieved.

Regarding intecepts; Consider VOIP on an open system like talking in a cafe. anyone can hear and listen in even if they don't intend to. If you shout across the cafe and people between you hear things that you don't want them to, either shut up, use a different language or put up with it. It's your problem, not theirs.

Build two of your own antennas which as high dBi as possible. Then you'll need to text them out in a field that is big enough to check they work, don't want to put them up and buy more stuff with them not working.

If your mounting them externally then you need to buy a lightening protector for them.

Your last problem is that you'll want a really nice wireless card, and probably not a cheap SOHO wireless AP. We're talking 300-400mWs here, most cheap cards are 50mW which some going up to 100mW, you could then get an amplifer which would boost it, but then check what your local laws are on radio frequencys.

So the problem is that you probably need a nice new wlan card, which means you'll have to make your own router, so probably an old pc if you have one.

You could go with an amplifier on a SOHO router but I wouldn't trust it to do the job.

Obviously this needs to be done at boths ends.

Got a link to a site with instructions for that antenna, and how you're to connect it to a wireless card?

I've never, ever dabbled with Wireless (too insecure for my taste), but I've got some interesting targets for attack in my vacinity. I doubt the regular antenna will pick up enough as-is, but with an external directional antenna things might get mighty fun.

If you have line of sight then you can make yourself a couple of dish antennas and modify a couple of Linksys WRT54G to do the job for around $150.

http://www.engadget.com/2005/11/15/how-to-...d-dish-antenna/

EBay, local papers and car boot sales are your friend.

If you don’t have line of sight you can still do it, by buying high powered equipment and antennas (very expensive) or by doing something called Packet radio, which is not easy to setup, but can be the cheapest option.

LinkingExample.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Packet_radio

If you have line of sight and are looking for something more secure and faster, free space optics is an option. It’s not cheap but it’s fast and easy to setup.

nope im going really cheap, hey im a high school student! :)

poor mans wireless looks good.

If you have line of sight and are looking for something more secure and faster, free space optics is an option. It’s not cheap but it’s fast and easy to setup.

nope im going really cheap, hey im a high school student! :)

poor mans wireless looks good.

Wait until college, you're not poor, you're flat broke. Just keep your eye out for an old dss or whatever dish and follow the instructions from the engaget link above. I did just that with my 1.5ft diameter dss antenna and was picking up APs from over 8 miles away with my d-link dwl-520+ pci card on my linux box. Quite impressive in my book.

Wait until college, you're not poor, you're flat broke. Just keep your eye out for an old dss or whatever dish and follow the instructions from the engaget link above. I did just that with my 1.5ft diameter dss antenna and was picking up APs from over 8 miles away with my d-link dwl-520+ pci card on my linux box. Quite impressive in my book.

yea thats true!!

• 2 weeks later...

OK you should check out this site

http://www.wardrive.net/ for info on making all types of wifi antenna's.

here is a antenna i think would work nicely for what you are trying to acomplish http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/CardboardHorn

now to make this a even cheaper antenna you can just place the rubber duck antenna that is on your router right in the box at the end of the horn antenna...here is a nice crappy paint illustration

2639g77.jpg

as for what hardware to use you could use any router and buy a wifi repeater but remember they do not have a vary high power output so you might want to just spend the money to get two

linksys wrt54g's.

For testing you could just make one horn antenna and then point your router/antenna down the street and walk down the street with a laptop/pda to test how much range you are getting from it. now remember this will work much better when you have good antenna's at both end of your link.

If someone is going to buy repeaters they might as well buy a amplifier. I built a 50 watt amplifier with preamp, it’s completely illegal to use in the UK and was based on one made by SSB Electronic, you can pick up a 3 watt amplifier for around $200.