What To Do With Small Usb Sticks

Jamo

Hi.

I have 10 old 512MB usb sticks which are just laying around with no use.

Those are SanDisk, so those have U3 installed.

Only thing that I came up was to put some "viruses" on those and to leave those sticks on public places. Probably not the best use... nor legal...

I have even opened one to see how they really work...

So what I could do with those sticks. Any Ideas.

See if you can mod them in any way, like the case itself, to disguise them as everyday household items. Try making one fit in a mouse so that when the usb cable of the mouse is plugged in, its only used as a storage device, but hidden in the mouse, or integrate them with some sort of usb hub and stuff it inside of something so you have a larger set of storage instead of the individuals. I wonder if you can force a raid array out of them using linux or something to tie them together as one logical disc.

I can't believe this hasn't been suggested.

www.deaddrops.com

or

http://wiki.daviddarts.com/PirateBox if you'd like to spend a couple of bucks on something a little more sophisticated.

I've seen the dead drops one before. I think Bre Pettis talked about it, but I kind of don't trust random USB devices being plugged into my machine for fear of things like the Switchblade, Darrens Rubber Duck or Iron Geeks Phukd devices. Given that HIDs can do pretty much anything to a system, I'd stand clear of a dead drop.

The pirate box idea is a cool idea and I like that its not so much about plugging into it as it is wireless, so you are a bit safer this way.

Its also given me an idea for something like a Pirate Cache, or Pirate Caching, where you set up one of these with a HDD and supply people with the GPS coordinates of where they can park and access it. Kind of like old BBS boards where people shared files, only now they can drive to find them, take road trips and in turn have a bit of fun along the way. Like geocaching, you could make it a puzzle to find the coordinates of several Pirate Caches, download clues/text files and decipher them to find the next one, ultimately leading to the end Pirate Cache where they share files.

The coordinates only have to be within close enough wifi range, so don't be silly and give people direct GPS coordinates to your house, but instead, maybe make an enclosure that is water proof, its own power source and maybe even battery backup with full auto start of everything on boot so it can stay somewhat self sustaining. Then leave yourself a backdoor to collect and clean the drive from time to time so new visitors can leave/take/share files/chat, etc.

On the subject of dead drops...

Noting a properly configured bitch box, XP VM can't fix.

On your Pirate Cache idea, why are you more inclined to plug into a cached HDD than a USB stick in the wall?

I have to admit, the offline exchange of data has that adventures fun feeling to it.

I've seen the dead drops one before. I think Bre Pettis talked about it, but I kind of don't trust random USB devices being plugged into my machine for fear of things like the Switchblade, Darrens Rubber Duck or Iron Geeks Phukd devices. Given that HIDs can do pretty much anything to a system, I'd stand clear of a dead drop.

The pirate box idea is a cool idea and I like that its not so much about plugging into it as it is wireless, so you are a bit safer this way.

Its also given me an idea for something like a Pirate Cache, or Pirate Caching, where you set up one of these with a HDD and supply people with the GPS coordinates of where they can park and access it. Kind of like old BBS boards where people shared files, only now they can drive to find them, take road trips and in turn have a bit of fun along the way. Like geocaching, you could make it a puzzle to find the coordinates of several Pirate Caches, download clues/text files and decipher them to find the next one, ultimately leading to the end Pirate Cache where they share files.

The coordinates only have to be within close enough wifi range, so don't be silly and give people direct GPS coordinates to your house, but instead, maybe make an enclosure that is water proof, its own power source and maybe even battery backup with full auto start of everything on boot so it can stay somewhat self sustaining. Then leave yourself a backdoor to collect and clean the drive from time to time so new visitors can leave/take/share files/chat, etc.

EDIT: NVM reread your post and your intentions of incorporating a HDD onto a PirateBox instead of just finding a random HDD.

Edited by b0park

On the subject of dead drops...

Noting a properly configured bitch box, XP VM can't fix.

On your Pirate Cache idea, why are you more inclined to plug into a cached HDD than a USB stick in the wall?

I have to admit, the offline exchange of data has that adventures fun feeling to it.

EDIT: NVM reread your post and your intentions of incorporating a HDD onto a PirateBox instead of just finding a random HDD.

No, not plug in, just access via wireless. I assume the HDD is attached via ethernet storage. I didn't read the specs on how it was created, the video made it look like you connect to it via wifi, it redirects you to its page no matter what you try to access, then shows you files to download as well as an upload script to put your own files on it. I have no intention of plugging any devices into my machines, which was my point about the dead drops.

Edited by digip