What Application Should I Make?

Guest Deleted_Account

Guest Deleted_Account

Hi all! I am looking for some ideas for a windows Based application that I should make. This is for my Comp Sci project. Some rules I have to follow:

1) Must be done in an Object Oriented Language (C++/C/Java/etc)

2)Must have a practical use

3) Must be something that could sell if you tried to sell it (AKA something popular that reaches out to the target audience).

4)Has to have a minimum of 2000 lines of code and cannot be a game or "toy" or script.

Any Ideas? What do you think is a good app that hasn't been done before? Something unique if possible. Code will be released under GPL V3 and those who help with ideas will be credited :D My problem is I just can't think of anything unique and really good to make!

Edited by x942

How about an online pizza ordering system? That's what i had to do for my Java Programming class at my university.

Well, there haven't been any good open source TV mixing software. I mean there is a lot software that you can use to mix videos, but not on-the-fly or live. I have checked also the VJ software tools that are out there and some partially do this but it's still not what I wanted.

So the idea would be to use some of the existing tools and software out there to make an intuitive GUI with which you can load videos (or live streams), switch between them, do picture-in-picture stuff, add text, watermarks, animations, etc.

You don't really need to do all these effects, they're already done by a lot of other open-source applications. I think DirectShow also supports this stuff, so you can use that. You might want to check AviSynth since they already do some of this stuff, and they're just a library. There are other open source software that you could use.

The output of the mixed content would preferably have to be a live stream that you can distribute to the internet, but for simplicity, I'd say you can just output it to a monitor.

The keywords to this app, would be "a GUI that makes live video/TV/stream mixing easy and intuitive".

How does that sound ? If you don't like it, I can try to think of another application.

Well Similar to Infiltrator, for a group based, year long project we had to design and build a Hotel Management system.

The project kind of just fell on our lap, seen as one team member actually worked part time for a hotel with a dated (and not fully functioning system).

We went with a VB.net app, however a web based app with a customer portal would be cool. Depends how funky you want to get and what language you write it in (touch screen POS for the bar staff), you can expand and scale up the complexity of it (depending on the time and scope of the project) e.g. either you build it semi-rigid/bespoke for 1 specific hotel or you make it ‘off the shelf’ and make it completely configurable e.g. from setup the user must specify how many floors they have, how many rooms they have, what type of rooms, what amenities (so that it meets your requirements of ‘sellable’)

@MRGRIM,

You just gave me another idea, the op could make a database system for a video store, where a client goes in hires some DVDs of their choice. But before they can hire any DVD, they must first become a member at the store.

And with the database system, the staff can keep track of what dvds have been hired, what clients hired what and what movies are due back.

Guest Deleted_Account

How about an online pizza ordering system? That's what i had to do for my Java Programming class at my university.

Ha That sounds kind of fun. I did something similar last semester but it was a Point of Sale system for a restraunt.

Well, there haven't been any good open source TV mixing software. I mean there is a lot software that you can use to mix videos, but not on-the-fly or live. I have checked also the VJ software tools that are out there and some partially do this but it's still not what I wanted.

So the idea would be to use some of the existing tools and software out there to make an intuitive GUI with which you can load videos (or live streams), switch between them, do picture-in-picture stuff, add text, watermarks, animations, etc.

You don't really need to do all these effects, they're already done by a lot of other open-source applications. I think DirectShow also supports this stuff, so you can use that. You might want to check AviSynth since they already do some of this stuff, and they're just a library. There are other open source software that you could use.

The output of the mixed content would preferably have to be a live stream that you can distribute to the internet, but for simplicity, I'd say you can just output it to a monitor.

The keywords to this app, would be "a GUI that makes live video/TV/stream mixing easy and intuitive".

How does that sound ? If you don't like it, I can try to think of another application.

That would be a very interesting project. I am also in filmography so this would be a lot of fun to do. I will tak a look at some of the projects you posted and take it from there :D

Well Similar to Infiltrator, for a group based, year long project we had to design and build a Hotel Management system.

The project kind of just fell on our lap, seen as one team member actually worked part time for a hotel with a dated (and not fully functioning system).

We went with a VB.net app, however a web based app with a customer portal would be cool. Depends how funky you want to get and what language you write it in (touch screen POS for the bar staff), you can expand and scale up the complexity of it (depending on the time and scope of the project) e.g. either you build it semi-rigid/bespoke for 1 specific hotel or you make it ‘off the shelf’ and make it completely configurable e.g. from setup the user must specify how many floors they have, how many rooms they have, what type of rooms, what amenities (so that it meets your requirements of ‘sellable’)

Another good idea :D I have done a similar system before. Where it was a Point Of Sale system but it was built from the ground up. We actually had to build the OS (or at least a custom linux kernel) for the hardware (IBM POS System)and then put the software on top of it. That was a hell of a porject lol.

command line app :) for recording technical information about the host ;0)

would be sweet + you'd learn a lot about hardware + the file system

Woot :P that could be fun to do. I will attempt this when I get home =p