Blue Coat K9 Protection Filter

Jon819

Do as Sparda suggests. Ask they turn it off. Be prepared to offer a reason why you should be exempt from its filtering rules, or why they would even be relaxed for you.

Alternatively (or rather, additionally) you should go to the Blue Coat website and download their 30-day trial. Install it on your home PC and see if you can figure out how to bypass it in an environment that wouldn't disapprove of you succeeding.

Direct download (it's in the javascript surrounding their download form. View the source of the download page to verify)

Get your own computer and be your own admin.

Just thought of this, you could install VMware Server/Player, make a VMware machine running say Linux or BSD (because you'll need to buy another copy of XP if you want to run that). Then set up a network between, using internet connection sharing (i imagine you are running windows).

Then you'll have a virtual PC you could use which wouldn't have the software on it.

Unless somehow the software blocks network traffic as well, which I would doubt.

You don't need to setup ICS stingwray, VMware player installs it's own NAT service.

Ok, i've never played with Player or the NAT with Player or Sever, so it didn't cross my mind. The NAT option definitely makes more sense, unless you needed to forward ports to the VM, or can it do that as well?

I'm not sure, you have the option of running VMplayer as if it was on it's own network with in your computer, so I suppose you could do it the way you said (Set your computer has a NAT gateway), but it is easier just to use the NAT service.

The third option for networking in VMWare is to make the VM a full member of the network, so if you knew a non-used IP within your network subnet, and the gateway/dns server addresses. This would be the best bet (for what stingwray was asking about port forwarding).. as then the vm would have its own IP, no port forwarding or natting needed :)

(This can be done with VMware Server so im guessing the same will be for the player :).. however, if he cant install VMware this is pointless :P.. depends how deep his PC restrictions go)

tx, the only problem with that is that you need a network, not everybody has one. From the sound of his question I thought perhaps he had one computer with internet access (probably because if he had his own then this wouldn't be a problem).

Also I wanted to keep this internal, Sparda's suggestion of using the NAT is probably the best for quick set up, anything requiring ports will have to be run on the host machines, but those services arn't likely to be affected by the software.

• 2 weeks later...

couldn't you just set up a proxy server on your home computer and route it through there...maybe not the fastest connection, but it works, i think. Haven't done it my self, but thers tons of products out there you can use, most are even portable so you can throw them on a flash drive, and go. Also if you are part of 'big' company, use a little social engineering to get the admin password. Not that hard. Like gettin free pizza, lol...