Virtualization And File Server Combined

llama

So discovered Proxmox VE after watching Hak5 and really want to set up a server now. That web interface looks really slick. I'm gonna be using it for a Minecraft, Web, Bittorent and TeamSpeak server among other things. The problem I'm having now is I want a bunch of storage in a RAID 5 configuration. The storage is going to be mainly used for storing torrents.

I'm gonna get 4 Western Digital 2 TB drives. I had originally planned on putting these in a separate physical machine with FreeNAS but I would really like to have everything in the same box now.

I was trying to avoid a hardware RAID solution because I read that these 2 TB drives have problems with that.

Anyone have any suggestions on how I could accomplish this?

Where did you read that information from?

In addition, to avoid data corruption and compatibility issues you should always check the QVL (quality vendor list). The reason to that is that they have done extensive testing with a majority of hardwares against their hardware to ensure there are no compatibility problems.

So If you want to build a raid system, make sure the motherboard and hard drives are compatible with the RAID controller. In case you are already giving up, you can always buy a RAID NAS (network attached storage) like Qnap or Thecus.

That's what I am planning in doing. Its easier and saves a lot of time, but can be expensive also.

I guess those drives do support RAID. Some of the Newegg reviews had people complaining about it but some said it worked fine. Hardware looks like my best option unless I buy a separate NAS. Trying to keep the cost down on this though.

Do you have any recommendations on RAID controller cards? The price range on Newegg varies greatly.

Thanks for the help.

(Can't edit my posts?)

Just read something that says they only support RAID 1 and 0. Not sure what I'm gonna do now... :(

How much are you willing to spend on a Raid Card?

If I could get something good for around $50 that would be cool. I might go up to around $100 if it was worth it though. I'd really like to spend as little as possible but enough that it is reliable. I saw some for like $300 though so I hope that isn't necessary. :P

What are the differences in price ranges? I don't think I would really need anything with super good performance cause I'll just be streaming music.

The most popular brands for raid controllers are Adaptec, Highpoint and 3ware. Usually they can cost quite a lot, depending on the features set and functionalities.

Now if you want to by something cheap, you could find something for as low as $100 dollars in Ebay.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=raid+controller&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Use VMWare ESXi server, its free and alot better.

You install it on the machine like Proxmox, but you log into it using a client, and you have awsome management tools.

From the box you have a console screen basic setting can be set so you can log on the box.

You can download virtual appliances to load on the the box as a virtual box.

OR

Just install you're own, i just it all the time, its also great to rigrate you physical system to virtual, (to go green ;/ or just for a back up:D)

Seriously check it out i use it all the time.

Work and at home.

Its based on a Linux kernel, its really easy to install, the only drawback is the hardware support,

Mainly produced for corporate servers. so IBM HP ect are supported.

there is desktops that can run it.

Check this link and you can see if you're hardware is supported of not.

http://www.vm-help.com/esx40i/esx40_whitebox_HCL.php

...Sluggerzz

I'm curious as to why Darren choose to base his new build off of Proxmox instead of ESXi. A few seasons ago he was an avid ESXi supporter. I wonder, you know, besides the "just cause" reason. Did I miss the comparison and reasoning possibly?

I'm curious as to why Darren choose to base his new build off of Proxmox instead of ESXi. A few seasons ago he was an avid ESXi supporter. I wonder, you know, besides the "just cause" reason. Did I miss the comparison and reasoning possibly?

I thought it was Matt that was the VMWare fan, Darren was always on about VirtualBox.

ESXi is very picky about hardware, where proxmox being based on Debian is a little more forgiving, but then anyone who uses a GUI should check their manhood, cli kvm all the way baby!

...then anyone who uses a GUI should check their manhood, cli kvm all the way baby!

Yeah, because using Photoshop from the command line is always a non-manly option...

If they work in the CLI, fine. If they work in the GUI as well, or only from the GUI, why knock it?

You use the tools for the job that need to be done, but who cares whether its in the gui or from a shell. People claiming to be hardcore just cause they use the cli miss the point.

I use ESXi for my home virtualisation platform, my only gripe with it is that you have to use a Windows machine for the vsphere client as it does not run on any other platform (WINE either FYI). I run it on a dell Optiplex gx 620.

I haven't used ProxMox but I have heard good things about it, and tbh I would rather use ESXi at home as we use it at work as well.

I use ESXi for my home virtualisation platform, my only gripe with it is that you have to use a Windows machine for the vsphere client as it does not run on any other platform (WINE either FYI). I run it on a dell Optiplex gx 620.

I haven't used ProxMox but I have heard good things about it, and tbh I would rather use ESXi at home as we use it at work as well.

I also have the Optiplex GX620, and was thinking of using it for Proxmox VE, however, since the CPU needs to support Intel VT, I couldn't do it with the D840 CPU that was already installed, after some research, if you ever plan on using that machine for Proxmox VE, you would need the D960 CPU, and probably a better heat sink.

After using Proxmox VE on a custom computer based on the i3 CPU, I can say that it really easy to use. Here is my experience with it:

Creating Windows machines was easy enough with the right slip streamed ISO created with Nlite. My intention was to build a virtual network to test Metasploit and fun tools like Nmap, but I noticed that the virtual machines showed up on my home network and used my home router to obtain their IP addresses. Darren said in the show that he got a dedicated line for "The Hacker Challenge", I wonder if their is a way to put these virtual machines on a different subnet to isolate them from my home network, that way I dont have to worry about doing some accidental DOS attacks against my roommates. That is probrably a configuration thing that I'll have to deal with later... Also, Proxmox VE uses VNC to tap into the virtual machines. I have not been successful as of yet in trying a standalone client that can directly access them, without having to log into the web based GUI (I tried TightVNC etc...). It would also be nice if I can remotely access these virtual machines from outside my home network. I guess I could use Team Viewer or possibly LogMeIn Hamachi... Anyway, just my two cents.

Use VMWare ESXi server, its free and alot better.

You install it on the machine like Proxmox, but you log into it using a client, and you have awsome management tools.

From the box you have a console screen basic setting can be set so you can log on the box.

You can download virtual appliances to load on the the box as a virtual box.

OR

Just install you're own, i just it all the time, its also great to rigrate you physical system to virtual, (to go green ;/ or just for a back up:D)

Seriously check it out i use it all the time.

Work and at home.

Its based on a Linux kernel, its really easy to install, the only drawback is the hardware support,

Mainly produced for corporate servers. so IBM HP ect are supported.

there is desktops that can run it.

Check this link and you can see if you're hardware is supported of not.

http://www.vm-help.com/esx40i/esx40_whitebox_HCL.php

...Sluggerzz

Actually Proxmox is a hell of a lot better then VMware's free ESXi distro. ESXi is a tease. Proxmox is capable of clustering and

LIVE MIGRATION(extremely cool) .. To get these features on ESXi you need to license another server to manage your ESXi cluster

and that will run you thousands of dollars. While I do believe ESXi is a good hyper-visor, it doesn't compare to Proxmox

allowing me to do things in my garage that would never be financially possible with VMware. Thank You Proxmox and thank you

Darren for spreading the word