P2P and Legacity

debianuser

Well if its copyrighted and not released under Creative commons or some other license that allows you to freely distribute it then your not allowed to download it.

I don't know BCC but if you mean BBC then your not allowed to download that, apart from if it is released on the website, but even then you need to read the T&C carefully.

Well if its copyrighted and not released under Creative commons or some other license that allows you to freely distribute it then your not allowed to download it.

I don't know BCC but if you mean BBC then your not allowed to download that, apart from if it is released on the website, but even then you need to read the T&C carefully.

yah i meant BBC! ok got it - thanks

The way I see it, I pay my liscene fee, and if the recipiant has also payed his lisence fee, there is no problem. We've both payed for the show to be made, why can't we then watch it when its convineant

The problem is in the T&C of the licensing agreement, if you tape things of the TV (which we will parrallel with downloading them off the net) your arn't supposed to keep them for long, a couple of months at the most.

Obviously people do keep them for longer and the BBC would be a prime candidate for releasing their content freely on the internet, the problem is stopping it get into the hands of people that will distribute it to people who don't pay the license fee (i.e. people in other countries.)

This would probably be in the form of some horrible DRM which nobody would want and would require that you connect to the net to watch the content and check you are in the UK (even then there are ways round it).

But then again, I watch quite a lot of american TV shows, and there are no ways of me seeing that stuff without a very powerful/complicated arial or a plane ticket. So i download them, mostly with the adverts removed, but even when there not, I can't buy anything there selling.

What would be cool is if google worked out a way to do localized adverts for TV shows. So the takeaway down the block from you could advertise to your part of town only. If you moved to another block/town, you would see different adverts by different people. That way the adverts would still be effective if someone in the UK wants to watch MTV or NBC. Only issue is, the BBC has no adverts.

A quick sidenote here:

There's nothing illegal about downloading in most countries. It's the UPLOADING (the 'copy' bit about copyright implies duplication, which a downloader isn't doing) that is illegal.

So if you don't upload any packets to others while downloading with Bittorrent (you'd be a prick, but it's trivial to accomplish) you're doing nothing illegal.

The problem is in the T&C of the licensing agreement, if you tape things of the TV (which we will parrallel with downloading them off the net) your arn't supposed to keep them for long, a couple of months at the most.

Obviously people do keep them for longer and the BBC would be a prime candidate for releasing their content freely on the internet, the problem is stopping it get into the hands of people that will distribute it to people who don't pay the license fee (i.e. people in other countries.)

This would probably be in the form of some horrible DRM which nobody would want and would require that you connect to the net to watch the content and check you are in the UK (even then there are ways round it).

so you mean that watching the shows of BBC and deleting them afterwards would therefore be legal? :?

is that the same with mp3 which you can keep like for 24 hours?

thx

Just go this from the BBC Copyright policy

Recordings

If you want a recording, our copyright agreements only cover broadcasts. The rights for further distribution of programme recordings have to be negotiated as separate agreements. Therefore we can only provide a recording if it has been made commercially available.

What do they mean as "separate agreements"? like I need to call BBC and say "Can i download it from the Torrent?" :lol: actually I just send them an email... wonder if I will get an answer :roll:

Right, I just called the BBC, and asked them if it was ok to download programs via bit torrent (i did actually ask about BT and 3rd party sources specifaclly) if I had paid my liscene fee. The guy on the other end of the line put me on hold for 5 minutes, then came back and said that as long as had paid my lisence fee, it was fine to download the programs from a 3rd party.

So from the horses mouth: Payed your fee? Downloaded away!

... So from the horses mouth: Payed your fee? Downloaded away!

Wow, thats amazing, did you tape the conversation as that would have been excellent if you had.

Now if the BBC would start releasing their content via bittorrent we'd be sorted.

Although still the problem with people getting it without paying the license.

... So from the horses mouth: Payed your fee? Downloaded away!

Wow, thats amazing, did you tape the conversation as that would have been excellent if you had.

Now if the BBC would start releasing their content via bittorrent we'd be sorted.

Although still the problem with people getting it without paying the license.

is it a UK thing, this thing with the license! coz I live in Switzerland! not sure what you guys mean by license!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Television_li..._United_Kingdom

The bbc is funded by a £130 annual fee on owning a TV set. If you don't pay, you can be fined up to £5000, even if you don't watch tv broadcasts (so if you have an xbox hooked into your tv, and only use it for games, you have to pay still).

Unless your TV doesn't have a built in tuner, which would make it a monitor I suppose. Don't the EU tax monitors that have DVI connectors becasue they desided that DVI connectors are for TVs not PCs?

Unless your TV doesn't have a built in tuner, which would make it a monitor I suppose. Don't the EU tax monitors that have DVI connectors becasue they desided that DVI connectors are for TVs not PCs?

Yes they do, god knows why because i've seen more TVs (of the LCD/Plasma kind) with VGA rather than DVI (obviously high-end ones have this usually).

Its also worth noting that the Government is considering changing the TV License to a Computer License so you will have to pay it if you own a computer. Should be interesting to see if this happens.

Yes they do, god knows why because i've seen more TVs (of the LCD/Plasma kind) with VGA rather than DVI (obviously high-end ones have this usually).

Its also worth noting that the Government is considering changing the TV License to a Computer License so you will have to pay it if you own a computer. Should be interesting to see if this happens.

Screw. That.