tvs show for linux users

debianuser

SUSE is a better polished desktop OS and Fedora is a better server/desktop beginner distro.

SUSE is heavy, takes too much ressources and uses its own config file, so in /etc/X11/ for example, you get two Xfree86 config files, one that Yast uses and the other one.... that's pretty stupid!

Fedora does not respect the universal designation of the system folders such as /etc/ /bin/ and so on... they put files and stuff a bit everywhere according to their own "standart"-.... goes the same with Red Hat

:arrow:

SUSE is a better polished desktop OS and Fedora is a better server/desktop beginner distro.

SUSE is heavy, takes too much ressources and uses its own config file, so in /etc/X11/ for example, you get two Xfree86 config files, one that Yast uses and the other one.... that's pretty stupid!

Fedora does not respect the universal designation of the system folders such as /etc/ /bin/ and so on... they put files and stuff a bit everywhere according to their own "standart"-.... goes the same with Red Hat

:arrow:

I’m not saying they are good but in my opinion they are better then Ubuntu. It’s like comparing Windows 95 and 98 both are shit but I preferred 98.

The only thing I consider difficult for someone new to Linux to do is installing it, but if you’re installing it for them there’s no reason to stick them with some piece of shit distro, as Debian can be made to be just as easy to use.

What do people think of CentOS? I've heard its just free redhat linux, and thats supposed to be the best linux there is.

I’ve only used CentOS on servers (mainly Asterisk) and it was fine, I don’t have any issues with it.

I’m not saying they are good but in my opinion they are better then Ubuntu. It’s like comparing Windows 95 and 98 both are shit but I preferred 98.

you're still not saying why Ubuntu is sh** - I mainly and only use Debian but will recommend Ubuntu to beginners coz it's still Debian based.

Talking about the install, I have to disagree, Debian is much more harder to configure when Ubuntu installed on a laptop for instance has all the cpu temp. and intel centrino chipset supported ... no need to dig into dependencies and resolve stuff

anyhow.....

see ya, gotta go have dinner :lol: "fish and potatoes"

you're still not saying why Ubuntu is sh** - I mainly and only use Debian but will recommend Ubuntu to beginners coz it's still Debian based.

Talking about the install, I have to disagree, Debian is much more harder to configure when Ubuntu installed on a laptop for instance has all the cpu temp. and intel centrino chipset supported ... no need to dig into dependencies and resolve stuff

anyhow.....

see ya, gotta go have dinner :lol: "fish and potatoes"

I hate sudo. :D

They cripple features in Ubuntu which is my main issue.

VaKo, CentOS is basically the Redhat Enterprise Linux distro, with all references and images copyrighted to redhat removed, and therefore can be used free, fully GPL'ed.

They even keep up with the redhat security patches and updates, so if you have server software that is meant to run on RHEL 4.0, it will run perfectly on CentOS4.

I hate sudo. :D

Then do "sudo passwd" and enable the root account. 8)

Yeah, I did that when I had it on a box but my dislike of Ubuntu amounts from lots of little things that add up quickly, the fact they cripple features, updating can be slow and that I like to set up my whole machine and know what every bit of it is doing. Ubuntu is made for people who don’t have the time or skills to set up a computer.

<Off Topic>

<Random Distribution> sucks! I hate you! I hate the distribution you like!

(modified slightly from the Red vs. Blue explain the Internet video)

</Off Topic>

Lmao, god I love that show. And Darren's right, we all have our different tastes for linux distros. I've used Ubuntu and didn't mind it but the sudo pissed me off and like metatron said, updating can be slow. Ubuntu is the best replacement for xp for a person who knows little about a computer. The other's are more complicated and capable but all are designed for a specific application (Centos for a server, etc etc).

i just installed ubuntu 6.0.6 and install was a BREEZE

i was installing mandriva previously on same PC and had ALL sorts of issues with vid card driver installs.

previously these other versions of linux were fine to run in vmware to teach myself how to do things in linux. But now i want to host services etc on a linux box, without the headache of worrying about drivers

p.s it was just a geforce 2 64mb card, nothing new at all

thats one thing i like about windows, at least it gives u access to desktop even if u dont have the correct driver installed with the "windows default driver"

Ubuntu is the best replacement for xp for a person who knows little about a computer.

People that know little, and arent willing to learn, shouldnt be using linux. Too many people try to compare distros to XP, but thats too much like apples and oranges. What usually draws people to linux is all the limitations and issues with Windows, so who wants to be reminded of that?

My synopsis based on the distros I've used:

Debian - the good ol' boy distro. Its what many of the more popular distros are based off of. But that is about it. Releases are slow, packages are either old or broken, and many times you have to compile from source to get things right. Sure you can install it, run stable, and be fine, but when you want to install some new software, you have to cross your fingers if you want to do a binary install.

Gentoo - I love Gentoo, though it has issues. Has a lot of software that works. Emerge (the package manager) is good, though it can be a bit overly complicated with keywords and the like. The main downside is huge compile time, little speed enhancement. That and you get made fun of by Debian users for being a ricer. I also like the organization better than Debian.

Kubuntu - KDE based Ubuntu (I don't like Gnome, neither does Torvalds, so sue me). Easiest install I've done. Pretty much everything works after I first install it. After that, it is like Debian only Apt works. Yes you could add other repositories to Apt in Debian and hope that they all are compatable, and whatnot, but Ubuntu has it all working. I understand Ubuntu doesn't give back to Debian as much as people would like, but oh well. Debian is a bit too pickey IMHO (Whats with mplayer not being in the Debian repositories anyway?)

Whew, long shpeal but my point is that they are all good in their own ways. And if you don't like sudo, then you are too lazy. You can still edit /etc/sudoers to turn off passwords if you are really that lazy, or just say sudo su. It's security, gents. Welcome to Linux.

I tend to use linux (suse/red hat, depends on which computer is available) for my science work-I find the console such a simple way of navigating and manipulating files. Also, the vi text editor is amazing for editing all my files. I don't know much at all about linux and only use it for work, but I find that whatever I use on windows, linux tends to have a more intuitive tool to do the same job.

I use Linux (Gentoo, Debian, Slackware, FC 5, LFS, Red Hat Enterprise Linux and SUSE Linux Enterprise Server), BSD (Open, Free and Net), Windows (XP, Server 2003 and Vista), UNIX (HPUX and Solaris) and OSX (Yes, I know it’s based on BSD) and all have good and bad points.

My main desktop’s are Debian (I have had no issues with "old or broken" packages and I'm happy to compile from source) and Windows XP Pro and I have had no “real†issues with either, but I like using Debian more as I grow up on UNIX, but I could not work with out Windows as I use AutoCAD, SolidWorks, Ultiboard, Multisim and National Instruments LabVIEW.

What do people think of CentOS? I've heard its just free redhat linux, and thats supposed to be the best linux there is.

its all relative my friend. Personally I wouldnt touch red hat with a ten foot pole unless beastie was on the other side with freebsd.

Aside from whether or not people prefer Ubuntu or even like it, it is good to have a video out for people that might say...only want a computer for email/school work/internet, but don't want to pay $50+ for Windows XP or Vista Pro Mecha Super Happy edition. The more publicity Linux gets, the better, and Ubuntu is great for beginners (hence all the criticism it receives). Hey, if I can get more people to switch to Linux, then this show is worth while.

++Linux_Market_Share;