Buying Phone Abroad

Jamo

Hi

Im traveling to New York next april. And Im going to buy a new android phone there. Hopefully dual core.

Are those phones sold only with 2 year contracts limited to that operator you purchased it from. I mean does android phones have similar operator lock as in iPhones.

Or can I just buy a phone and be able to use my old sim card?

Any recommendations where I should buy android phones in NY?

Experiences?

Im going to buy android from USA cause its a lot cheaper than to buy it from Finland.

Hi! I have just bought a droid2 and thought I should give you a helping hand...

Im traveling to New York next april. And Im going to buy a new android phone there. Hopefully dual core.

Sorry to say, but the droid2 has only one core and its a 1Ghz.

Are those phones sold only with 2 year contracts limited to that operator you purchased it from. I mean does android phones have similar operator lock as in iPhones.

Or can I just buy a phone and be able to use my old sim card?

You can buy the droid2 without a contract, but its $600 (USD) Its around $200-$300 (USD) with a contract. As to the locking/unlocking of the phone, you can root your droid2 very easily (Takes about 10 mins) And sorry to say but the droid2 does not have a slot for a sim card. Version does not use sim cards in there phone, but you might be able to activate it in your home country.

You can buy the droid2 without a contract, but its $600 (USD) Its around $200-$300 (USD) with a contract. As to the locking/unlocking of the phone, you can root your droid2 very easily (Takes about 10 mins) And sorry to say but the droid2 does not have a slot for a sim card. Version does not use sim cards in there phone, but you might be able to activate it in your home country.

Thanks for reply.

I think that at in 1st quarter of this year should come 2 core android phones, at least to Finland, my home country.

I need a sim card in my contry, so I could easily use my own number and if needed I could use prepaid too

$600 is quite cheap, in euros its 440€ and when Im prepared to use 500-700€ for my phone its $700-$1000 so Its enough for any phone I think.

So they also sell phones with out contract