ID cards get a scary twist...

VaKo

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08/07/brown_id_expansion/

I really hope they use EDS to design this thing, incomptence seems to be the only way we're going to be saved from this nightmare. When was the last time the goverment in the UK actually worked for the people, instead of treating them like children who need to be controlled? As a voting subject of the crown (we're not citizens here, were property of the crown), i cannot ever remeber being asked if we wanted this crap.

At least it doesn't say there going to use RFIDs (there so easily cloaned). I still don't like the idea of a mandatory ID card. This country seems to becoming more and more like Nazi Germany, "Ver arre your paperz?!".

I bet in the end this ID scheme makes identity theft more easy. Now the thevies only have to steal a single card to prove they are you.

(Do note that I didn't read that whole artical, I don't read...)

At least it doesn't say there going to use RFIDs (there so easily cloaned). I still don't like the idea of a mandatory ID card. This country seems to becoming more and more like Nazi Germany, "Ver arre your paperz?!".

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/07/25/id_card_goes_icao/

RFID all the way...

(Do note that I didn't read that whole artical, I don't read...)

May you live in interesting times...

What gets me is if your PIN number is stolen, you can get a new one, if your password is stolen, you can get a new one. But what about finger prints, DNA or retina scans? I get the feeling that once your subject to a false positive, its going to take a hell of a lot of effort to get it sorted.

"i'm sorry Mr Doe, but you seem to be a terrorist now... off to the gulags while we try and sort it out... ooh and don't forget you'll need to pay the cost of fixing it..."

This is one of the reasons they banned most firearms in the UK as they don’t what a armed uprising when the government turns tyrannical. Next step will be implanting chips into everyone at birth and the brain washing can continue from the BBC.

No. That is a shit attitude. It may just be "a sign of the times" but unless people start doing something about this, its going to get much worse. As hackers, or similar, how long do you think it will be before they come after us? They want to ban encryption, which means no SSH. They want access to our routers and computers, not for anything in partiular, but just to have a look-see and find crimes. They want to be able to tell us what we can and cannot say, make it a crime to just say something they don't like. Yes, this is all targeted at "terrorists" but remeber, the deffinition of a terrorist is in the hands of the goverment, the same people who are instituting these laws.

In the UK we have no bill of rights, no consitution, so when the goverment wants to do something like this, there is nothing stopping them. Labour has destory the UK goverment, and the ideals it used to enshrine. What other democracys around the world can just appoint a new head of state without any involvement from its population. This is wrong.

I admit, I don't know what can be done about this, beyond massive civil disobediance, but unless we start acting now 1984 is going to seem like a holiday resort.

Don't know really how its going to be thrawted...well I guess there are extreme ways, yet don't know too much on it. Just from reading whats on the register, I would have to do more research on what would need to be done, from a legal standpoint, to counter it.

One mans terrorists is another mans freedom fighter, but I still don’t want to be marked as a terrorist. The problem is as soon as you do anything to draw attention to the issue you will be accused of helping the terrorists or being one.

Being a hacker means you can do a lot of things to bring attention to the issue but a lot of them are illegal and the people that stands out side government offices and number 10 protesting the claps of civil liberties bring little to the table as a few hundred people will not affect the views of the government.

I do agree, protesting does not work, you can wave banners around but all that happens is you get ignored. The only way anything like that can work is if millions of people do it. There is a limit to how many police there are, and what the police can do.

It just makes me angry because I know that I'll be eventually marked as a terrorist, but I won't have changed any of my views or done anything wrong.

If it comes to a point when people don’t care if they go to prison or not, the government will have a shit storm on their hands but it won't go that way, but will be the same as CCTV where it’s everywhere and you just get used to it.

Yep, I quite agree with VaKo here (and others who take the same viewpoint):

I don't like the current climate because the Govt. are in complete control. You do something they class as 'wrong' (even if they know nothing technical about what you did/might do/could do or the reasoning behind it) and they can have you because you may be a 'terrorist'.

Unfortunately, they can class you as a terrorist at will - it's not just whether you break the law any more, it's whether they see fit to call you dangerous in a country-threatening capacity (even if you clearly are not).

Ok, so appeal... no, if you appeal, you've get hit worse for trying to prove innocence. They'll assume you're trying to drum up support and involve more 'extremist radicals'... we couldn't win if we got arrested while being innocent in that world.

Yeah, it's true... 1984 *will* seem like a lawless holiday resort if this carries on as the Govt. would like and I'm 100% against it. I want to be able to live without fear of being controlled - we're being turned in to good little minions here slowly but surely and there's nigh on jack shit we can do about it...

Agreed also VaKo - I don't remember being asked about whether I want this... but according to figures and reports, we do whole heartedly want this to happen.

I will probably just move to the US year round as at least you know if someone in their government did half the shit the UK government does they would get a bullet in their head.

<rant>

True but, here the majority of people don't give a shit about what our government does. Yes, we have an idiot for a president and thousands have rallied and protested, all with no effect what-so-ever. England may be becoming more like a high security prison but the united states is transforming into something like a cattle farm.

The citizens here are told only what they need to hear, fed when necessary and in turn produces the work force needed for the country's economic engine to turn. The majority of which could care less to ask what's exactly going on as they're more interested in bitching about fuel prices while filling up their Hummer 2 and yelling at the tv when Bush fails to pronounce words correctly in his nation addresses. They all bitch but only a small percentage have actually taken action against the government. This 'action' has produced no effects at all.

Ok, I'm going to stop before I go too far but here's what I believe needs to be done/changed (among MANY things here in the US). Our 260ish year old democratic voting and party system needs to be reformed. The way the constitution was written was favorable to a two party system, obviously the demos and republicans, and any others have an etremely hard time even being able to enter the race for the office. This in effect gives total control over the country to two groups that have been currupted from day 1. At the moment I can't find any of the requirements for a party to be included in an election but they're are quite rediculious. Making it easy for other parties to enter the race and possibly limiting the amount a group can spend in their campaigns can level the playing field and hopefully give citizens a greater ability to make a education decision instead of just voting for someone because they only know two names on the ballot.

Whew, there's a lot of grammerical errors in there. </rant>

One mans terrorists is another mans freedom fighter, but I still don’t want to be marked as a terrorist. The problem is as soon as you do anything to draw attention to the issue you will be accused of helping the terrorists or being one.

The life story of the US. Bunch of drunks got pissod off about taxes by a fat king over 3,000 miles away and decided to revolt. Today their our heros. However, if a group were to appear once again and revolt again Bush and his cronies, they would be labled terrorists and squashed like ants.

This is one of the reasons they banned most firearms in the UK as they don’t what a armed uprising when the government turns tyrannical. Next step will be implanting chips into everyone at birth and the brain washing can continue from the BBC.

No, they banned them because of a knee jerk reaction to the Dunblane massacre. And they didn't ban most firearms, only pistols. You can still get a rifle here if you own a section 5 firearms license, and that constitutes most firearms. The ban didn't affect anything of course, they said it was to reduce gun crime but instead crime involving firearms has risen steadily since. They are now attempting to pass another freedom reducing bill called the VCR (Violent Crime Reduction) bill, this will stop people being able to enjoy (amongst other perfectly legal activities) a niche hobby called airsofting, of which I occasionally partake in.

I think these ID cards are a paralel of the VCR bill-government says one thing, joe public think on the surface it's a good idea and are reassured to a degree. Regardless of which however, it goes through and then proceeds to have a negative effect on the populace. To be honest, I'm not surprised this has happened.

Not as far as I'm aware-the attitude towards them has changed drastically however, and this gives the perception of a massive change. The only change Dunblane brought to the law (as well as the banning of handguns) is that you needed to keep whatever firearm you have registered on your FAC (Firearms certificate) in a locked compartment at home-no more storing it at the local gun club. Also, people nowadays tend to inform police when they transport/use the firearm to avoid potential dramas involving the ARU (police Armed Response Unit).

The change in attitude can be seen through understanding that about 30 years ago, my friend (who was young and very very stupid at the time) and his friend decided it'd be fun to shoot blanks at each out of a moving car, in full public view. And the police reaction when they caught them? They confiscated the firearm and gave him a telling off-that was it. Nowadays he'd be in jail for illegal possesion of a firearm, for upto 5 years per firearm. Times have changed, and most people here that live in Britain probably weren't around pre-Dunblane, including me. I'm fortunate enough to gain knowledge about the change in public perception through friends who are much older than I am. I guess people nowadays can try to appreciate the change by looking at farmers who use shotguns-people don't blink an eyelid to hear that a farmer has a shotgun nowadays. This was the same of most firearm users back then.

If I have missed something fundamental, please correct me on the relevant laws, but I do know that as long as you have a valid use for the firearm (hunting vermin, protecting land from vermin, shooting recreationally on private land) then it's just a case of due process (and lack of a criminal record/mental stability :p)