Networking Question *appreciate Any Knowledgable Answer* :d

chuiy

Hey guys, I have to leave for school soon so I'll try and fit this in. Okay so basically our main network upgraded routers so I was the beneficiary of the old router/windstream modem etc..... I setup the new network -- working good -- but my question is, I have my little nerd lab in the basment and I want to run a DSL adapter on the phone jack to a windstream modem to a router that will broad cast a signal in my nerd lab so I can run a server down there etc. so my question is -- is it possible to have two home networks using two separate phone jacks and windstream modems but running on one DSL account? I dunno if that quesiton made sense -- but if you have a helpful answer id appreciate it :D

Edited by chuiy

is it possible to have two home networks using two separate phone jacks and windstream modems but running on one DSL account? I dunno if that quesiton made sense -- but if you have a helpful answer id appreciate it :D

Assuming I have understood the question the simple answer is no, if you try to run two ADSL modems on one phone line they will just interfere with each other.

To get a connection down to your nerd lab you would could run an Ethernet cable down and connect that to the old router (remembering to set switch off things on the old router like DHCP and to give it an unused IP address). Or if your routers have wireless on them you might be able to get a wireless connection in your nerd lab which you can set your old router up to bridge (assuming it has that option or can be installed with openwrt or dd-wrt) with its switch.

If you can't run a cable or get a wireless connection a third option is to look at Ethernet over power adapters which will let you use the power lines in your house as an Ethernet cable.

Ahh okay -- that was the answer I was dreading but knew was coming.... So basically what I need to do (I want to have my netlab running via ethernet cables so I can use linux since my wireless card is fairly new.) So excuse me if I'm miles off but Id have to run an ethernet cable from my new router to my old one (in the lab) and give the old router (in the lab) and unused Ip address so it would kind of be like a switch?

That should do the job fine. You will need to switch off dhcp on your old router as you don't want two DHCP servers running at the same time, or you will find machines get given the same IP addresses or IP addresses on different subnets.

Since you are planning on having two internet connections, you could run some kinda of load balancer, splitting the load onto the ADSL lines and optimizing your application speeds and performance in general.

Hey guys thanks for the replies, I appreciate it! What Im doing now is running an ethernet cable from my new router to my old one and Ive been reading up on cascading two routers however when it says to change the config of the second router -- I can only access the setup page of my FIRST router ( the new one, and I WANT to access the setup page of the old one so I can switch DHCp of off) ANyone know how?)

I have found something that's worth reading about cascading two routers.

http://www.corenetworkz.com/2008/02/router-to-router-cascading-simple-guide.html

Secondly I would advise, connecting the second router, to a standalone PC and disable the DHCP from there. Don't forget to change the ip address of the router as well.

Edited by Infiltrator

It might be worth doing a reset on your old router as well so that you are starting with the factory default settings rather than any odd settings that are left over from when it was the main router for the house.