How Can I Become Knowledgeable About Computers?

Halburow

Hello, I have been using a computer for several years now and it has occurred to me that even though it plays a major role in my life I know very little about it. I watched a few of the hack 5 shows and iv checked out many different forums and websites (hack this site, hack a day, exc.) but all of them seem to be way over my head and more focused on braking into peoples accounts and that kinda stuff. I just want to gain a better understanding of how programs and computers run and maybe make up some of my own programs. Iv been a hacker since I was a little kid, I always loved taking things apart and trying to put them back together in a new way and I think it would be so cool if I could do that with a computer. I got a book on C++ and Iv started in on that but I dont see how making a little box say hello world or do basic math can equate to something like this website im on right now. I plan to continue studying this C++ book but I was wondering if this book is the best place to start learning. Could someone give me some advice on this? Thanks for your time. Please contact me at learningemail@yahoo.com. I will also be sure to check this thread for reply's. (sorry if things are not quite right I read the entire how to post post but I couldn't understand a lot of the technical terms.)

Well, I guess you just have to let your curiosity lead you into discovering stuff about computers.

There's no real better way than this. Most of what I know is because I got interested in it and decided to start trying it.

I got more knowledgeable about bikes after I got one, same with cars and especially with computers.

In computers I started when my parents bought me one, and I started to play around with it. Since there wasn't so much internet back then (in 96), discovering every little thing in the computer was the most fun I've had. Plus, I liked to combine files in several games and make them work a bit differently.

I guess you have to start being interested or curious about specific stuff about computers and then when you get into finding out specific stuff you start to see the big picture.

Right now I'm thinking of giving VJ-ing a try; and live video streaming. These are some of the things that interest me right now and in which I'll get slowly more knowledgeable about.

Get to know people in IT, join them in discussions or listen to what they talk about.

Visit hak5 forums frequently and don't forget to watch the videos.

Research and read about various informations on IT on the internet.

Go to courses and don't forget to practice and learn even more.

Ok thanks, I guess the best thing to do like everything else is just start tinkering around and see what comes of it.

The thing about IT is to have interest, be self motivated and willing to learn. From experience I know, IT is very challenging and very dynamic (very hard to keep up to dated). So it always comes down to the individual and their ability to learn new things. If not sure about something, or you want to know more about it, ask people who knows the subject like Hak5, but before doing so you might want to spend some time researching so you don't sound too noob when asking the question.

Books, Videos and Google are a very good source of information as well.

Edited by Infiltrator

The thing about IT is to have interest, be self motivated and willing to learn. From experience I know, IT is very challenging and very dynamic (very hard to keep up to dated). So it always comes down to the individual and their ability to learn new things. If not sure about something, or you want to know more about it, ask people who knows the subject like Hak5, but before doing so you might want to spend some time researching so you don't sound too noob when asking the question.

Books, Videos and Google are a very good source of information as well.

While it is two days late, I can offer the following advice for someone new:

Read and learn the material with a goal of knowing it well enough to teach someone else.

Not only will you get a deeper understanding and appreciation, but any potential customers will benefit from someone that is more-knowledgeable.

In my experience, I am trying to read about 40 pages a day in various books and the like. And, granted it can be "boring" stuff, it becomes much more interesting if you actually sit down to try out what's written in what you're reading.

Just some advice from my personal experience.

1 - Stay in school

2 - Read everything you can get your hands on about computers

3 - Ask questions

4 - Play and Experiment