Android Device + Hidden Laptop/netbook?

imtifade

7 members have voted

1. 1. Would this be of any use?

Im getting a droid x very soon, on monday I hope and iv been looking at some stuff like vnc, ssh and other stuff. I had a pretty cool ideal (I think)an android devise connected to a laptop in a backpack decked out with a Jasager and backtrack 4 r2. Its more of a way to do your hacking in a more hidden way I guess. my questions are has anyone done this and is there a way to make a vnc connection with a usb to a computer from an android (because i have a data plan:( ).

Well I would just like to know if my ideal could be of use.

Edited by imtifade

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Im getting a droid x very soon, on monday I hope and iv been looking at some stuff like vnc, ssh and other stuff. I had a pretty cool ideal (I think)an android devise connected to a laptop in a backpack decked out with a Jasager and backtrack 4 r2. Its more of a way to do your hacking in a more hidden way I guess. my questions are has anyone done this and is there a way to make a vnc connection with a usb to a computer from an android (because i have a data plan:( ).

Well I would just like to know if my ideal could be of use.

....hi I've got simmilar idea ... does it works ?

• 2 weeks later...

This might actually work with a netbook, but heat will still be an issue unless you leave the bag open a bit and then there's a good chance it will be stolen if you look too busy with the phone.

It's not that I don't like the idea, I've thought about this myself, but a netbook would probably look innocent enough if you keep it in mint condition or put some generic stickers on there.

Basically make people think you're blogging, watching YouTube, playing farmville or whatever which doesn't relate to geeky stuff. Anything that causes a major lack of interest in looking on your screen.

If you still really want to follow through and do this I'd get an ALFA WiFi adapter, since nobody's going to see it anyway you might as well go all out and use the built in card for phone connectivity.

This is pretty much what supereater14 said.

• 2 months later...

Once you enter the realms of concealing the laptop inside a bag, you are no longer constrained to a device that must remain normal looking i.e a standard laptop.

consider the following:

Low Power fan-less Pico-ITX m-board (3.9in × 2.8 in)

12v 3 hour battery pack.

Pineapple

x number USB Wifi adapters

16gbs USB FlashDrive.

Short Twisted Pair Cat5 for the pineapple.

some form of container for the board ;)

If you are careful about the components you pick up might be able to put it together for $200-$300

Heat Still an issue?

Protect the board from condensation issues and use an ice-pack, should give you plenty of time.

An extra wifi/bluetooth device could be your entry point to your box. (make sure its a hidden SSID)

About looking conspicuous, how many people do you observe in public using a phone as intently as you will be ... most likely zero

perhaps a tablet pc (aka iPad) would be more fitting if not a little more expensive, the additional screen real estate would make the task easier.

Although using an actual netbook/laptop to connect to your back back would also be plausible dependent on environment.

Regards

• 3 weeks later...

Wow thanks for all the replys I kinda forgot about posting so I surprised when I saw all the replys. All ideals were noted, now I'm thinking about getting a setup like described above.

Bump to see if anyone else has any ideals to add