Net Book - Worth Upgrading To 2 Gb Of Ram?

Guest Deleted_Account

Guest Deleted_Account

I was using my netbook today (An Emachines) and noticed that ram was used up to 86% (running win 7 home). My thought is to buy some extra ram but is it worth it for a $150 netbook? This is my primary laptop right now and only computer minus my NAS and other Server. Will there be a big performance boost on this thing?

EDIT: That was a shorter post then I thought. Maybe I should have just asked in IRC :P

Edited by x942

if its your primary and your using that much memory then yeah go ahead and upgrade it. if nothing else maybe when you replace it the next one will be compatible and you can carry over some extra ram

The minimum it requires are 2 gigs of ram to run smoothly. The recommended is 4 gigs of ram.

Guest Deleted_Account

if its your primary and your using that much memory then yeah go ahead and upgrade it. if nothing else maybe when you replace it the next one will be compatible and you can carry over some extra ram

Should I worry about mixing brands and just grab the same one that is already there? or buy 2 1GB sticks and pop them in removing the old one? I haven't upgrade ram in a laptop before so not sure if it is the same as a desktop or not.

The minimum it requires are 2 gigs of ram to run smoothly. The recommended is 4 gigs of ram.

Really? LOL didn't know that I have been running Win 7 Home and Ultimate ( At different times) on a an Acer Aspire One and this Acer Emachines for almost a year now with no noticable lag. All though I do blam the lack of memory for random freezes where windows completely locks up and no blue screen or anything.

Edited by x942

I upgraded my netbook to 2GB quite soon after getting it, so I can't say if you notice a difference as I wasn't running for long enough on 1GB to compare. I will say though that with the cost of memory these days you might as well upgrade it as memory usage always increases.

Should I worry about mixing brands and just grab the same one that is already there? or buy 2 1GB sticks and pop them in removing the old one? I haven't upgrade ram in a laptop before so not sure if it is the same as a desktop or not.

Really? LOL didn't know that I have been running Win 7 Home and Ultimate ( At different times) on a an Acer Aspire One and this Acer Emachines for almost a year now with no noticable lag. All though I do blam the lack of memory for random freezes where windows completely locks up and no blue screen or anything.

If your system freezes and locks, it could also be related to other things as well, not only lack of memory. Usually if your computer is running slow due to lack of ram, it creates page files on your hard drive, that acts as reserve memory to your computer or also known as virtual memory.

Since its using your hard drive, this process is very slow and can really affect your system performance. Remedy have as much ram as possible.

Guest Deleted_Account

Yeah I am not sure what causes it to lock up both my aspire one and machines do it at random. but only windows Linux is unaffected even if I make it hit 96% ram usages. I only use this for programming and msn skype iTunes firefox. Nothing really hardcore and HDD is not normally that active nor is the computer slow (except when updating which slows right down).

PS posting from my iPod touch sorry about spelling errors

Yeah I am not sure what causes it to lock up both my aspire one and machines do it at random. but only windows Linux is unaffected even if I make it hit 96% ram usages. I only use this for programming and msn skype iTunes firefox. Nothing really hardcore and HDD is not normally that active nor is the computer slow (except when updating which slows right down).

PS posting from my iPod touch sorry about spelling errors

Funny you brought that up, I own a HP Mini netbook, it has 2 gigs of ram and a dual core cpu. It only slow down, when I am running apps, like Utorrent, Skype and Google Chrome at the same time.

Now these apps are not hardcore apps, and I guess its just the netbook that doesn't have enough juice to keep things going. That's why I personally don't like netbooks that much, because of their under powered performance.