Media Consolidation Program

RogueHart

i have 2.2k songs according to winamp (just audio)

im going through them 1 by 1 tonight and deleting a lot and replacing low quality tracks.

problem is a lot of my music is indie music given freely and its all in separate locations on my computer thanks to having moved my collection through 4 different computers. so the media files are in a terrible file system used during transport.

im wondering if anyone knows of a program that will scan my harddrive for audio files (i only use mp3 and flac), create a "music" folder containing several subfolders for each artist and subfuloders within those with the albums. something that could read the id3 tags would be nice since im also correcting tags tonight.

id like a program that will consolidate and organize my files. something besides itunes because itunes is rather irritating and since ive switched to using my droid for my media player ive gone back to winamp and never want to deal with itunes again.

I'd say there isn't any simple way other than just using a media player of some sort to put them all into a library that cna auto update the info via the web.

Personally, I would do a recursive search for all *.mp3 and *.flac files, then move their parent directories in groups to a single music folder. Then consolidate, delete and organize them from one central location.

I have all my music in one folder, and its over 20GB by itself so I know it can be a daunting task to organize your music when there are thousands of files.

I'd say there isn't any simple way other than just using a media player of some sort to put them all into a library that cna auto update the info via the web.

Personally, I would do a recursive search for all *.mp3 and *.flac files, then move their parent directories in groups to a single music folder. Then consolidate, delete and organize them from one central location.

I have all my music in one folder, and its over 20GB by itself so I know it can be a daunting task to organize your music when there are thousands of files.

yeah thats probably what im going to end up doing. im deleting a lot first though. im going through winamp and removing the files from the hdd. going alphabetically by artist so i can keep track and get it done of the course of a few days. about 230 songs down and in the D's lol