Ipad Or Tab?

Guest Deleted_Account

Guest Deleted_Account

Which product do you guys think would be better for a student? What I will be doing:

Taking notes (Screen is nice on the ipad for this), Emails, IM, Internet, light gaming (Thats what my iPod/psp is for) and video. Customizing is good so Tab wins there even over the iPad but the fact that android can run on the iPad makes it seem even better. This will basically replace bringing a laptop for notes.

Thanks for any suggestions!!

i have to say though that new panasonic tablet looks sweeet .... almost bought a rm tablet with xp on it last night but came to my senses when i learned the specs lol

i think theyre a good idea but need to run a more substantial os ... ie windows/linux b/c tablet programs seem to lack any productivity ie adobe cs and autodesk etc

Guest Deleted_Account

I've never had paper and pencil crash on me. Just a thought.

True enough but that will be my backup plan as I don't like writing that much and can type much faster.

i have to say though that new panasonic tablet looks sweeet .... almost bought a rm tablet with xp on it last night but came to my senses when i learned the specs lol

i think theyre a good idea but need to run a more substantial os ... ie windows/linux b/c tablet programs seem to lack any productivity ie adobe cs and autodesk etc

The only windows based tablet I liked was the Archos 9 windows 7 tablet It suprisingly does avery good job at it. Real OS's aren't the best on tablets though I would prefer Android. That said my friend through Boxie or something like it on his Archos 9 and now it feels like a really nice tablet.

... ftw the ipad2 is out in feb so hold out if your considering an ipad

tbh im avoiding them ... i have my phoine with droid and until the 'tablet wars' are over lol im not going to buy one .... we'll se who's still standing @ the end of the year :D

and at the same time im sooooooo happy android is being so widely accepted :D :D :D

I have actually been trying to decide between keeping my iPhone or "upgrading" to an iPad. I really don't need anything on my phone other than a phone, though the extras are nice to have (email, games, etc.). The reality, though, as I get older is that I appreciate being away from email and the like at times and don't feel the need to be bothered with it anymore. Most often I would like to be closer in the loop during work hours at work, so an iPad with wireless may be plenty for me when I do not want to lug my laptop around and is smaller and more useful than my netbook. That being said, I have never actually even poked an iPad with a stick so it may be a moot point. As far as people looking at specs on a tablet, remember they are typically geared to longer battery life. Autodesk and Adobe-type products may work, but I think it is far from the intent of the devices for the most part. The same arguments were made about netbooks...it is all about setting appropriate expectations.

i wish people would avoid the ibandwagon tbh apple produces nice products ... but go and mess them up with cluttered slow software apps. ie itunes ... so many restrictions get something with android if you have to buy a tablet at least then you wont be tied to one pc and one library of tunes

things that make android rock ....

most devices feature a removable battery and memory card ... no itunes!!! amazing amount of applications being developed ... 'opensource' os .... and if you get the right device you'll always have the most up to date os and firmware

what happened to the hp slate with win 7 that looked awesome ... and was roughly the same price as an ipad

I haven't used an iPad too much, but for note-taking I got a Macbook. The long battery life and *nix stability was a winning combo for me, and I find the keyboard much easier and more comfortable than any touch-screen. I know you're after a tablet, but consider that you'll be taking notes for a good hour or two and either leaning over a flat device or propping your hands up at wierd angles.

Guest Deleted_Account

... ftw the ipad2 is out in feb so hold out if your considering an ipad

tbh im avoiding them ... i have my phoine with droid and until the 'tablet wars' are over lol im not going to buy one .... we'll se who's still standing @ the end of the year :D

and at the same time im sooooooo happy android is being so widely accepted :D :D :D

My Semester is done in april which is the only reason I am willing to buy something right now. Tablets make film class so much easier :P

i wish people would avoid the ibandwagon tbh apple produces nice products ... but go and mess them up with cluttered slow software apps. ie itunes ... so many restrictions get something with android if you have to buy a tablet at least then you wont be tied to one pc and one library of tunes

things that make android rock ....

most devices feature a removable battery and memory card ... no itunes!!! amazing amount of applications being developed ... 'opensource' os .... and if you get the right device you'll always have the most up to date os and firmware

what happened to the hp slate with win 7 that looked awesome ... and was roughly the same price as an ipad

Again Very true! Althoug for iTunes I dont seem to get much lag (Maybe cause I only use it to sync my ipod touch an use boxee for music play back on my tv). HP Slate is still on there site but it was CDN$800 last I checked lol

I have the Archos 101 android tablet, and it is a nice device. Granted, it isn't as stable as iOS, so If you are looking for straight up dependability, go with the iPad. Do you plan on carrying a bluetooth keyboard with you for note taking as well? If not, then an android tab is something to consider since you can get different/better soft keyboards. I don't know of any tablets that the swype beta supports yet, but there are still other alternatives. one awesome benefit of the archos is it's USB host and HDMI out; I've used both and they have saved me when I didn't have a laptop around. I can pop a flashdrive into it and copy files to and from quickly, and when I need to present some pictures, sketches, or videos to people, I just pop it right into a TV or projector.

One unrelated downside to my tablet. About 6 times a day I get asked by some technological illiterate person "Is that an iPad???" after they've been staring at me for a good minute or so. Really? do they look at all alike??

hardware-02-20101116.jpg

A101it_pictures.png

Guest Deleted_Account

I have the Archos 101 android tablet, and it is a nice device. Granted, it isn't as stable as iOS, so If you are looking for straight up dependability, go with the iPad. Do you plan on carrying a bluetooth keyboard with you for note taking as well? If not, then an android tab is something to consider since you can get different/better soft keyboards. I don't know of any tablets that the swype beta supports yet, but there are still other alternatives. one awesome benefit of the archos is it's USB host and HDMI out; I've used both and they have saved me when I didn't have a laptop around. I can pop a flashdrive into it and copy files to and from quickly, and when I need to present some pictures, sketches, or videos to people, I just pop it right into a TV or projector.

One unrelated downside to my tablet. About 6 times a day I get asked by some technological illiterate person "Is that an iPad???" after they've been staring at me for a good minute or so. Really? do they look at all alike??

Archos Tablets look really nice. The reason I didn't ask about them is because for some reason no one seems to carry them in Canada ( at least where I live) and Archos won't ship here due to temporary difficulties or something. If I could get my hands on one I would go for the Archos 5 IT and root it and put market place on it but for now it is not much of an option as they don't ship and I have no credit card. As far as stability goes I am use to things being unstable as I use beta and alpha builds all the time so that isn't much of an issue as long as data loss dosn't occur often. The iPad has the appeal of a 10" screen which is great for use in my film class as I can use it for scripts and other stuff. As for keyboards a jailbroken iPad can have its keyboard changed too lol

Ipad is not bad at all, but Galaxy Tab seems to offer more.

http://www.pcworld.com/zoom?id=204779&page=1&zoomIdx=1

Guest Deleted_Account

That does seem promising. Anyone hav experience with the smaller size? 10 inch is really nice for typing and showing off stuff like scripts and models. Just want to make sure the size diference wont hurt usability

It sounds like your mind is pretty much made up, so I think there is very little anyone can objectively add to this discussion. I personally see “pads” as a bit of a fashion statement, much like I see ‘most’ apple products. I personally think buying any Mac product with the justification of “taking notes” (especially when you’re posting it on a technology related forum) to be slightly farcical!

I did a 4 year software engineering degree (the course was based more on the ‘design’ and management aspects rather than actually learning a specific language, and the modules overlapped a number of other courses e.g. DBA) during my 4 years I can only think of a handful of times were I actually took notes, 90% of my lecturers put their course notes and material on blackboard (usually before the actual lectures) people would then do one of the following, 1 download and view on a laptop, 2 print the slideshow and physically write on it or 3 use a notepad.

I personally never found a need to make notes; I didn’t come out of University with the best degree (1st) but came out with a 2nd, not bad considering by the end of my course I’d had enough of learning.

If you’ve got £400+ to burn on a pad then do it (however try and justify it without ‘taking notes’ and does it become ‘because...’), however I personally found taking anything electronic into a lecture to be distracting to both myself and those around me.

Edited by MRGRIM

Guest Deleted_Account

It sounds like your mind is pretty much made up, so I think there is very little anyone can objectively add to this discussion. I personally see “pads” as a bit of a fashion statement, much like I see ‘most’ apple products. I personally think buying any Mac product with the justification of “taking notes” (especially when you’re posting it on a technology related forum) to be slightly farcical!

I did a 4 year software engineering degree (the course was based more on the ‘design’ and management aspects rather than actually learning a specific language, and the modules overlapped a number of other courses e.g. DBA) during my 4 years I can only think of a handful of times were I actually took notes, 90% of my lecturers put their course notes and material on blackboard (usually before the actual lectures) people would then do one of the following, 1 download and view on a laptop, 2 print the slideshow and physically write on it or 3 use a notepad.

I personally never found a need to make notes; I didn’t come out of University with the best degree (1st) but came out with a 2nd, not bad considering by the end of my course I’d had enough of learning.

If you’ve got £400+ to burn on a pad then do it (however try and justify it without ‘taking notes’ and does it become ‘because...’), however I personally found taking anything electronic into a lecture to be distracting to both myself and those around me.

You do have a good point and I should have worded it differently. I want one because Tablets are fun and cool. I will use it for notes (mostly viewing notes; as you said most are on blackboard/moodle these days). So yes I do want a tablet because they are cool and fun to use/play with. At the same time it does still need to be practical so maybe tablets just aren't there yet. Thanks for the input! As my degree is a Computer Science.

lol i used to take my laptop and nail tf2 in lectures :D

LOL I don't think I should do that. Though I have finished my entire computer science course already (easy stuff only my first year; mostly java, little assembly, and Webpage building).