What Was Your First Computer ?

Trip

im interested to see what you lot started on :D

i had an acorn electron @ the age of 4 ... was great fun ... the first command i learnt was CHAIN "ARCADIANS" to load space invaders hehe

then my first pc was a 086 with a clock speed of 12.5mhz and 512k of ram + 10mb hd wooooo lol (given to me by my cousin complete with f29 retaliator and rail road tycoon)

man how times have changed :D

My first PC was a Pentium II 350MHZ, with 128mb of ram and 1GB of storage if I remember well.

I've used it for playing Flight Simulators and mainly surfing the net. Back then, fast internet was kinda expensive so I had to use dialup.

pentium (just before mmx was introduced), igb hd, 256 ram, s3 verge or savage graphics, 33.6 modem, and a crazy expensive add-on Voodoo 2 12mb graphics card (so Duke Nukem would be cooler). Oh yeah and the original iomega zip drive (loved the click of death thingy). All those wasted zip disks. $25 bucks a pop :-(

pentium (just before mmx was introduced), igb hd, 256 ram, s3 verge or savage graphics, 33.6 modem, and a crazy expensive add-on Voodoo 2 12mb graphics card (so Duke Nukem would be cooler). Oh yeah and the original iomega zip drive (loved the click of death thingy). All those wasted zip disks. $25 bucks a pop :-(

Back then those Iomega Zip Drives used to offer a lot more storage space than a single standard floppy disk did. I remember, I used to have a stack of over hundreds of floppy disk on my desk.

Edited by Infiltrator

lol i remember when outpost came out on cd woooo lol ... and it took me 33 floppies to copy the data and movies off the disk so my friend who didnt have a cd drive could play it :)

i still have a 250mb zip drive lying about

... didnt have the joys of a sound card just had the pc speaker bips n bleeps

i remember upgrading to a 32mb creative labs banshee and remember loving it bc i could play doom/rot/dukenukem/quake with the graphics turned up :) worthless now but were so expensive back in the day

the web was painful on 56k dialup ... i tried playing delta force over dial up n kept getting pwned

I got my dad's old computer when I was 8. It was a Packard Bell with 660Mhz Pentium III processor, 128MB RAM, 12GB Harddrive but it's main feature was a 128-bit sound card :D

It was running Win 98 SE when i got it but eventually I put XP on it. It still runs.

My first one was a Pentium 133 Mhz, overclocked at 150 Mhz; I only found out it was over-clocked after a couple of years, when I found out that you could do that; I also noticed that nobody else had a 150 Mhz clock rate at their CPU; this was back in late 96, early 97;

The specs were:

- CPU : Pentium 150 Mhz

- RAM : 8 megs (EDO-RAM, not even SD-RAM)

- HDD : 1.2 gigs

- Video : 1 mega-byte S3 Trio

2 years later I added

- 32 megs of RAM (making it 40)

- a CD-ROM drive

- a sound card

The upgraded configuration could run smoothly Half-Life 1 at 320x240 in software; which was enough at the time, Diablo 1, Diablo 2, StarCraft, Quake 1 and Quake 2, Fifa up to 99-2000. When I first bought the computer (in 96), the company was nice enough to put on it a lot of old 386 to 486 games which I played for a while.

One (funny but at that time painful) memory is that some kids around the block did not have optical drives yet, and they were begging me to put stuff on floppy drives; they kept coming with 10-30 floppies and I compressed it to floppies; out of 10 at least 2 were usually bad copies that had to be re-done.

In 2003 I got a Celeron 1.7 Ghz, 128 megs of RAM, 40 gigs of RAM, GeForce 2; had to get up-to-date with the times; people were already having P3s and P4s.

When I got the second one I started codenaming my computers (based on what personalities I feel they have). So the first one was called Mathusalem, the second one Druid, the third one Maverick, I had a laptop called Pathfinder, my current laptop is called Enterprise (yeah, after Star Trek), my computer is called Commodore (not named after Commodore 64, although it's an AMD Athlon 64), and I have a virtual server somewhere called Andromeda (after the ship in the Sci-Fi TV series Andromeda). I feel that naming them this way makes the experience with them a bit more memorable and meaningful as time passes. That doesn't mean I don't have a social life.

Back then those Iomega Zip Drives used to offer a lot more storage space than a single standard floppy disk did. I remember, I used to have a stack of over hundreds of floppy disk on my desk.

I still have my old zip disks. I didn't want to destroy them until I could read them again and see what is on them. Old vers. of Netscape Communicator and Mcafee's (licensed:321 days) and plenty of 95 osr2 beta's probably on them. Recently found an internal zip drive on an old computer someone tossed. Soon I'll plug er in and go back in time.

I feel that naming them this way makes the experience with them a bit more memorable and meaningful as time passes. That doesn't mean I don't have a social life.

i name all mine after cartoon characters / puppets ... i like the thunderbird naming convention .... brains / troy / virgil / tracy / gordon / penelope / parker and timtim

486 sx-33 8 meg ram
150 meg hdd
1 meg video card (s3 trio, i think)
2x cd drive

i had a very similar setup but had a 33mhz dx chip :D win 3.11 ftw ... & remember paying £80 for 4mb of ram !!! wtf lol

Diablo 1, Diablo 2, StarCraft, Quake 1 and Quake 2, Fifa up to 99-2000

quality games ... great times .... ahh the memories ... i still have diablo boxed somewhere

Edited by Trip

My first computer was an Oric Atmos followed up a couple of years later by a ZX Spectrum. Both were great machines and I learned so much about computing from using them.

The first computer I used and the first computer I owned are two different things. The first computer I used was an IBM360 Model 40 that I wrote Fortran programs at school for a class at college. The next computer was a TRS-80 model 1 that I kind of hijacked from my brother. I wrote a program to do the 1040a short form back in the early 1980's. I had a VIC 20 for a short while but never really used it. Then I bought a Commodore 64 and that to me was my first real computer. programmed the heck out of and played so many games. In fact, I also used to it to generate tests for classes I was teaching at a local college. The college had some software for me to do that.That system is now long since gone, but I will always treasure that system, though I would not go back unless I had to.

Started out with a Vic20, Then got myself a Commodore 128D. After that I got a real beast. :) An Amiga 2000 with 80MB Harddrive and a PC-card that I could boot up a 8088 or something like that... ;) And outside the case was a 150MB Quantum Bigfoot 5,25" scsi-drive that sounded like an airplane. 80+150MB was a killer at that time! :)

A few years later I upgraded to my first PC. A 486DX4-100MHz. 320MB HD.

Now I am grown up and switched completely to Mac. :)

Edited by zyrax

1st PC I owned was a VIC-20. I played Pirate's Cove and a number of other games. I also made my way through a BASIC programming book. I was in kindergarten if I recall. Pops got me a commodore 64 later with 2x 1541's. Then when he went all IBM-compat I got his C-128 and the 1581 drive, and the 1571 RAM expander, and I don't recall the monitor but was composite in, and the 1200 baud modem.

First Unix machine I touched ran a CAT scan machine. Another one used a VAX and I really didn't like VMS.

First IBM compat I touched was my aunties 286-12. 40mb HD and 1MB RAM - dos 3.3.

First IBM compat I owned was a full size IBM XT I pieced together from about 4 different PC's I bought at a computer show, back when computer shows were awesome places, and not just cheap chinese BS (that is more expensive than newegg). mono monitor, then a CGA monitor. 8088-4.7mhz 256k RAM. 1200 baud modem.

It wasn't till we got to 386dx-40 that I started gaming.

Commadore 64, I was always on that game "bard's tale", I popped out the whom with a keyboard lol

GO64

You had to do that to get it into 64 bit mode to play games right? Then my friend got an Amiga and I was jealous haha