Room Security

Guest Deleted_Account

Guest Deleted_Account

(Not really computer question more of a security question.)

My Story:

Started living with my room mate about 4/5 months ago. All is good, and its not my room mate I am worried about but his friends more or less. Anyways long story short I have reason to believe they have tried stealing stuff before.

So my question is how could I go about securing my room a bit more? right now this is all I have setup:

--> Old Netbook running Ubuntu and Motion Activate Webcam software that saves images from 2 cameras back to an FTP server at my parents house.

--> Laptop Lock and LAlarm for when I leave it on (Locked of course)

--> A lockable cabnet/drawer with my other valuable in it.

I have been looking into Alarms and Safes. The ones that catch my eye are Laser Tripwire and this BioMetric Safe

Anyone have experience with this type of thing or any recommendations? The only thing I can really decide on for a safe is I want it to be an electric lock either biometric or keypad (no keys to lose). My fear is that the biometric locks are just as bad as those found on laptops and other devices.

I would say get a safe for valuables. Put a nice lock on your bedroom door and keep everything in there.

Possibly talk to room mate about his friends coming over and talk about how you dont want your belongings stolen and you dont feel comfortable with people in and out. Although that only kind of works if you are the lease holder.

A safe is sort of useless if you can't attach it to some thing big, some thing to bare in mind (Can't get in the safe? Steal the safe!). Also, biometric locks while convenient and a bit Orwellian are not necessarily the most reliable things, I'd personally prefer a good old fashioned lock and key or number pad or combination lock.

Get a fire safe, as when you have some security you are more likely to get your valuables damaged in a fire than stolen. As others have said I wouldn't go for a biometric lock as I have no way of testing how secure they are, at least without having paid for it in the first place.

Guest Deleted_Account

I would say get a safe for valuables. Put a nice lock on your bedroom door and keep everything in there.

Possibly talk to room mate about his friends coming over and talk about how you dont want your belongings stolen and you dont feel comfortable with people in and out. Although that only kind of works if you are the lease holder.

I agree. A safe seems like a good solution. I have talked to him and he understands and said he would talk to his friends so we will see what happens. As for "lease holder" we both co-signed so neither of us has that "right". If it came to that it would have to be taken to the college board/Dorm head.

A safe is sort of useless if you can't attach it to some thing big, some thing to bare in mind (Can't get in the safe? Steal the safe!). Also, biometric locks while convenient and a bit Orwellian are not necessarily the most reliable things, I'd personally prefer a good old fashioned lock and key or number pad or combination lock.

That is a consideration and I am thinking about a safe with Keypad and a steal chain to attach to my desk.

Get a fire safe, as when you have some security you are more likely to get your valuables damaged in a fire than stolen. As others have said I wouldn't go for a biometric lock as I have no way of testing how secure they are, at least without having paid for it in the first place.

Very true. That was my concern all along; Biometric locks never seem to live up to expectation. Maybe I will go for one with both keypad and key lock as I have some pretty valuable stuff to lock up (iPad, iPod touch, wallet, and so on).

I have had room mates I suspect have crept in my room while I was at work and such, best bet is to get a key lock for your room door and not give your room mate a key. Then put 2x4's on top of your window ledge or slideing glass door so it cant be opened unless the window or door is broke. You can even go as far as setting little traps like putting a small piece of clear tape to see if something was opened or not.. I think if you have to worry about your room mate that much you should get a new one or place of your own. Living like that is too stressful lol

Forget a safe, unless it is too big and heavy for them to lift off the ground and bring it somewhere to crack open. Decoy safes are nice, safes that look like a sprite can or something like that but are really a safe.

If you share the same room, with your room mate than the only chance to protect your belongs is with a safe.

You could install cameras in the room, and keep an eye on who steals what.

If worse comes to worse you could change rooms and get one for yourself.

I don't really like keypads for security as you can normally figure out what numbers are used in the code by simply dusting the keypad for finger prints. So for a 6 digit code there is only 720 possible orderings as the 6 digits are known. A room mate can easily try all the possible orderings over a couple of weeks.

I don't really like keypads for security as you can normally figure out what numbers are used in the code by simply dusting the keypad for finger prints. So for a 6 digit code there is only 720 possible orderings as the 6 digits are known. A room mate can easily try all the possible orderings over a couple of weeks.

Take your belongs to a bank safe, I doubt he will have much luck.

Take your belongs to a bank safe, I doubt he will have much luck.