Comicbook Database.

7h3kk1d

I want to start developing an application to keep track of all the comic books I own and want. I want to make a database to keep track of all the information but was wondering what language I should use. I'm not new to programming but I'm pretty new to databases so any help would be appreciated. The software has to work in linux since my desktop uses ubuntu.

I would just to use Joomla as a CMS

www.joomla.org

then get the extention called ZOO, and you can create a catalog of all your books and even rate them from 1 to 5 stars, it would take a very long time to code all of that from scratch, but you can always go back threw the joomla codes and edit things to your liking because it is open source. Oh yeah this is a online application though, which I recommend that way everyone in the world can enjoy comic book collecting with you. You can even add a forum for trading books and stuff.

• 1 year later...

I want to start developing an application to keep track of all the comic books I own and want. I want to make a database to keep track of all the information but was wondering what language I should use. I'm not new to programming but I'm pretty new to databases so any help would be appreciated. The software has to work in linux since my desktop uses ubuntu.

Well the traditional solution is to us a SQL database such as MySQL, Postgres, or SQLite. The hip new thing is using is to use a NoSQL database such as CouchDB or MongoDB. If you're just going to be running it locally you might even use something simpler like Berkeley DB.

Regardless of what you pick, you're free to use any programming language you're already familiar with. All these major database implementations have a very wide and inclusive set of programming language bindings to their APIs allowing you to use any programming language you're already comfortable in to manipulate the database.

I second Berkeley DB due to being lightweight. You don't sound like you need tons of functionality and a db that is super powerful so I wouldn't work with the rest , that would just be that more complex. Unless you want cool features like it accessible on a webpage, support hundreds of users etc.

• 2 weeks later...