I need help sleeping

Sparda

Oh yeah...the cure:

Lay on your LEFT side.

Calm your breathing, relax.

Stay on LEFT side for ~10 minutes.

Gently (key word, gently) roll onto RIGHT side.

You will be asleep in 5 minutes.

_alli

Hmmm im so going to try this tonight, maybe then i can sleep, and not lay in bed for hours on end attempting to sleep. thanks alli!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I normally only get around 3-4 hours of sleep a day and then I can go about my day with no problems.

And here's a hint, only go to sleep when you're brain is telling you to go sleep. You'll fall asleep alot faster.

I went to sleep at 6 am this morning and woke up around 9:30 and I'm doing great right now.

btw..this is my first post and I must say hak5 pwn5.

Yes. it appears true that we geeks have a high incidence of sleep-deprivation. I work two full time jobs (one doing QA for a server company to pay the bills, the other for my own company), plus do consulting work on the side. That means the average work day for me is at least 15-16 hours, plus transit times (i don't have a car) and various other chores and errands. Until recently i was just sleeping about 3 hours a night every night, and out late partying on weekends... after a certain amount of time the body won't put up with that kind of treatment. In my case i got so sick i had hives all over, and my joints swelled to the point where i could not walk. fun stuff.

As for caffeine, it defintately does need to be limited. i just have one cup in the morning when i get to work. at one point i was downing two monster energy drinks and 5-6 cups of a coffee PER DAY. that shit messes with your system.

Now however, one cup of coffee, and in bed around midnight every night, and i'm doing much better. Hurrah!

I can completely relate to this.

For some reason a lot of (hardcore?) geeks I know, including myslef, have strange sleeping patterns.

For me, on a normal day I will fall asleep somewhere around 2 am and wake up at 6 for work (or school in the past). That said, it's not uncommon for me to stay up past 4 and still wake up at the same time. I do ok during the day, but every couple weeks it usually catches up with me and I need to sleep in a bit or nap.

For the life of me, I cannot go to bed unless my eyes just plain won't stay open or I can't form sentences anymore. If I try, I have a similar problem to Darren's. Often I will wake myself up even more with all the crap that runs through my head.

Here is how you sleep:

-Get a Girl Friend

-Do some exercise in the afternoon

-stop being a fan boy

-no caffine/cigarettes/drugs

-Clear your mind before you lay down

-Yoga/meditation

-watch the shopping channel or regular TV

-Try to read a computer language book without sitting infront of your system (I promise you will be asleep, especially if its .Net)

sleeping when you feel liek you need to works excellent, but, as a teenager, i still live with my parents so i have quiet 30 hrs, usually filled with TV becuase my keyboard is too loud -.-

i advise aginst doing drugs, not only because its illegal but it really screws your system over more than helping it...

the whole "get a girfriend stop beign a fanboy, do yoga, workout" it gets old, and irrelevant, it doesnt work for EAVRYone, and it works for "normal" people because they do excercise and it tells their brain "sleep" whereas the origininall poster was requesting ideas on how to get to sleep, not nessciarily on a normal schedule.

i pulled 30 hrs alternating days for a month, then i would watch the olympics for the week it was on, out by 6:30 eavrynight and then id usually wake up at 4:30 and do all my HW it worked great for me.

P.S. curling is the best winterolympic sport.

i advise aginst doing drugs, not only because its illegal but it really screws your system over more than helping it...

And I think you couldn't be farther from the truth with this one.

Weed, which I might add isn't illegal here, has an active ingredient called THC (Tetra Hydro Canabol I think the full name is) which is what gets you stoned. Ever seen someone stoned? For the most part, they just laugh at silly sings, act childish and become really, really slow at everything.

I've found it to be a most excellent drug to help you sleep. Also, unlike the other common drug alcohol, which is legal in most of the world, there aren't any ill effects the next morning. You wake up and go merrily on your way. No hangover, no dry throat, no feeling like you've been run over by a dump truck, and you didn't consume a ton of calories to get into that mental state either.

I wouldn't go so far as saying you should consume any kind of drug in order to get to sleep, but I do know from personal experience that it does work.

-no caffine/cigarettes/drugs

I can second that on the caffine and cigarettes. But the drugs, I love weed. I'll openly admit here I'm a pothead. It doesn't make you suffer from any long lasting effects. All the effects are short term.

btw, yesterday i got maybe 3 hrs of sleep. last night, i got over 12 hrs of sleep. :lol:

I had a professor in Uni that had a unique sleep schedule:

He Slept 4 hours at night and took two 15 minute naps at the exact same time (I dont remember the exact times of his naps).

every day.

For me i need at least 7 hours a night, and i usually get them. When i cant sleep i dont try to force it just keep working on what you are working on until your body gets tired. If that doesnt work than it might be time to have see a doctor!!

PS. A booty call or a good wack might help too!! (^_^)

It seems that I always miss my oportunity when it comes to actually being tired. When I feel tired early in the evening I always just push through it by doing somthing. As a result I cease to feel tired for the next few hours.

I know that If I actually tried to fall asleep during this time that I probobly wouldn't have a problem, but if I'm not tired then why should I sleep?

This frequently results in me falling asleep at 2am when I need to wake up at 6am for school.

It's always fun to see how well I can do in a class when I effectivley sleep through it all semester though.

Only trouble is, my brain says "36 hours is a standard day...."

I have a solution!

211437203_aae6f51ce6.jpg

We slow down the earths rotation so we have 36 hours in each day. We already screwed the world with global warming, how much damage can this do?

The planet will be fine. Only the occupants will be screwed. :)

I have a solution!

211437203_aae6f51ce6.jpg

We slow down the earths rotation so we have 36 hours in each day. We already screwed the world with global warming, how much damage can this do?

Thats comforting!

• 3 months later...

I have a solution!

211437203_aae6f51ce6.jpg

Thats comforting!

.. i just thought i would quote you all as every one has quoted each other so much l0l ... but if i cant get to sleep i just stay up all night till the next day stay up all that day and that night i will be soo tired i just fall asleep the second i touch my bed :)