Pcs 20x Faster ?

Trip

While I would welcome such technology, I don't believe it is the bottleneck we should chasing at the moment.

Sure it's great if your PC gets a 20 times faster CPU, however if you are still using a HDD to store data the speed increase won't do much good :P

would be helpful. im still using a core2 duo. hope they get to wok on a laptop processor. imagine a netbook with a ssd, one of those processors, and a proper amount of am (article hints at some being built into the processor). mobile hacking paradise

I would think they would have to redesign the entire mobo as well to match the architecture. In modern PC boards today, there are only so many lanes on the bus for the CPU to communicate on, so not sure how they are handling this with just a chip alone.

In a server environment this CPU will dramatically improve performance, specially in the area of Virtualization. But the only limiting factor, is the BUS width of the motherboard, no motherboard can currently handle this vast amount of data. They will need to redesign the BUS, just like how Intel did with the I7 CPUs, which they all use quickpath interconnect, which can handle a lot more data, than the former front side bus.

Plus applications will need to be optimized, in order to support all the 1000 cores simultaneously.

interesting ... i wonder where the home pc will be @ in a few years ?

don't you think its funny when home technology surpasses old super computers ... was it the cray everyone raved about in the 90's ?

Edited by Trip

interesting ... i wonder where the home pc will be @ in a few years ?

don't you think its funny when home technology surpasses old super computers ... was it the cray everyone raved about in the 90's ?

I never thought I would stop using floppy disks in favor of USB. Floppy disks used to be cool back in the old days, but now they have been succeeded by USB sticks.

But don't you love technology. Its so friendly to us, always bringing us new and better toys.

However there is still a problem with single thread performance, all the cores in the world won't help with the 3GHz-ish limit we've been stuck at for some town now. Which is why SGI are making overclocked servers that are only designed to last months at a time. Until we switch out silicon for graphene in transistor designs then we're going to be stuck at the processor performance levels we have now. Designs like this are going to be useless for desktops or laptops, only server tasks which rely on massively parallel processing will benefit from this.

However there is still a problem with single thread performance, all the cores in the world won't help with the 3GHz-ish limit we've been stuck at for some town now. Which is why SGI are making overclocked servers that are only designed to last months at a time. Until we switch out silicon for graphene in transistor designs then we're going to be stuck at the processor performance levels we have now. Designs like this are going to be useless for desktops or laptops, only server tasks which rely on massively parallel processing will benefit from this.

It not only would be useless for normal users to own such CPU, but also a waste of money. Nvdia graphics cards could be used instead, they would be a lot more efficient and cheap as well.