Quick Question

ParMan

just to let you know now I'm sure I'm going to butcher this question.

so i have a mini laptop which you know can be slow for pentesting. i plan on building a new computer early next year and im trying to figure this out before then, but is there way to connect to the computer on my home network like via ssh and run x11 forwarding and make it so my computer at home acts like its on the network that the mini is on. i was thinking if i shh into the computer at home and then from the computer at home i could have a vpn on my laptop and connect my computer to my laptop. i pretty much would like it to feel like im holding my massive computer in my hands at all time. the only thing is i cant work it out in my head.

Thanks for the help as always

Casey Parman

The short answer is yes, although maybe not the x11 forwarding if not on the same network depending on your speeds. Basicly, SSH or a VPN give you access to the machine at home from anywhere in the world, so long as you port forward on your router, and your ISP isn't blocking access to those ports on your home network.

You would have to ssh to the machine at home, and have it basically proxy through your netbook "on site" of where you are.

Yeap, that's pretty much what I would've done. Set up one computer, where you can VPN into it from the internet, and then SSH from that computer into the computer where you would be using for pen-testing.

Depending on the OS, if its linux, you can also SCP into like ssh, but have access all your files securely to download/upload back and forth. In windows, setup FileZilla, and it can allow you to ftp in securely with sftp as well to do the same thing. If you only wanted to use it to proxy, then ssh in and set up your socks settings in your browser to use your home network to surf securely through. Use a VPN if you want to access the machine, and all others on the network, and setup RDP over the VPN to access the desktop, or if linux, VNC over ssh. Alternatively you can use nomachine's nxclient/server(which is ten folder better than vnc and supports SSH natively - requires a linux or solaris box as the server and has windows/linux/mac and solaris clients available).

http://www.nomachine.com/download.php

I will be using linux on both ends. I actually was working on setting up nomachine's nxclient/server but i have my own issues with that (still trying to figure it out/ only thing im missing is time to be able to).

The uBuntu site has a nice walk-through on setting it up. Its how I did it for my uBuntu box before it died. Machine was old and slow, 800mhz duron with like 256mb ram, but it ran uBuntu for a while till PSU died. I used the Windows client to log into it. Much nicer than VNC in my opinion. Fast and Secure.

• 2 weeks later...

so i think this would work i was thinking about it last night. lets say i have my laptop on my works network and my home pc is on my home network. im running linux with both systems backtrack on my laptop. so i ssh into my home pc from work. and then i use ipv6 (since ipv4 wouldn't work unless they forwarding the right ports but i dont know a lot about ipv6 so it might not work either its something im going to have to play with my main point right now is the concept) to connect my pc at home to a vpn server from my laptop at work. then my home pc should show up as on my works network. correct?

Edited by ParMan

VPN'ing into your home machine doesn't necessarily give it access to the work network. It more or less gives you access to your home machine and home network in a secure tunnel. Your co-workers would not be able to see your home machine on the work network, unless you made a share on the work laptop that pointed to the machine at your house and you made it available to the people at work, but be default, the whole point of the VPN is so only you have access to the machine/network at home.

im going to vpn from my home machine into my laptop which is on my work network. thus my home machine would be on the vpn network off my laptop which is on my works network. right?

and if use ipv-6 then i dont have ever worry about firewall's

Edited by ParMan