How To Boot Window On New Pc?

STaTu5 qUo

can i get some help here. i put a lot of money and time into building my computer and would appreciate some tips before i roast the Phenom II(suck it Intel)

What happens when you turn your computer on? Does it display anything on the screen? Does it beap?

Are you also able to post your computer specs? Like what type of motherboard, ram, cpu you bought.

Edited by Infiltrator

You need to tell us more. Output from the screen would be nice. Unless you don't see anything. And does it make it past the BIOS screen? Reset the bios. Enter settings you know to be good, read the manual. And is the memory setup properly(tri channel, etc)? Test some of the hardware in another machine, like HDD's. Are the HDD's SATA or PATA? Run with minimal components. Don't install everything at once. If SATA, did you configure the bios correctly (there are specific settings for SATA depending on MOBO and BIOS)? Are all components seated properly? Power to everything? What kind of beeps does it make on boot?

We need detailed info of the problem! We can't read minds and have no idea what your troubles are, so the more info, the better. Subliminal message in full effect.

Edited by digip

MSI 890FXA-gd70

AMD Phenom II x6 BE

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

WD Caviar Black 1tb

Saphire Radeon HD 4670

Power Supply: Orion hp585D(585 Watts)

I turn it on and it flashes some Oc genie MSI Motherboard Screen, I guess like how a toshiba wood say toshiba on boot. I had accidentally left a pelican hpc boot disk in the disk drive, so it booted that, had me log in, then when i tried to start the desktop it waited for a while the crashed. I waited a while. After ten minutes i turned it back on pressed the eject button before it could boot the disk and swapped it with window 7. While this was happening it said insert bootable media. I tried booting the windows 7 disk, it said loading windows files, appeared to be working, then just just turned off. At this point i am ripping my hair out. Is the PS not enough to support the system possibly?

MSI 890FXA-gd70

AMD Phenom II x6 BE

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

WD Caviar Black 1tb

Saphire Radeon HD 4670

Power Supply: Orion hp585D(585 Watts)

I turn it on and it flashes some Oc genie MSI Motherboard Screen, I guess like how a toshiba wood say toshiba on boot. I had accidentally left a pelican hpc boot disk in the disk drive, so it booted that, had me log in, then when i tried to start the desktop it waited for a while the crashed. I waited a while. After ten minutes i turned it back on pressed the eject button before it could boot the disk and swapped it with window 7. While this was happening it said insert bootable media. I tried booting the windows 7 disk, it said loading windows files, appeared to be working, then just just turned off. At this point i am ripping my hair out. Is the PS not enough to support the system possibly?

and yes i set it all up before the first boot attempt

PSU should be fine with that setup. I had a 450w with my Phenom II X6 and worked fine for a while, but the PSU died eventually (was a cheap one anyway). I ended up upgrading to 1000w when I installed my new 5770 GPU as well, but I also have 3 SATA HDD's and DVD burner with 3 fans. Not that fans make much draw on power, the biggest draw being my GPU.

Anyway, as far as shutting off not sure whats going on there but something in the hardware is not right once windows loaded its drivers, possibly the bios not supporting some feature of the CPU. Could be a number of things to try. I'm wondering if you need a BIOS update to support your X6 CPU though. I know for my Phenom II X6, I had to do a bios update to support it, since the one shipped only would do quad core and below, even through that board itself supports the AM3 chipsets, was only shipped with support for quad core and below. Previously I had an Athlon II X2 in there, but like I said, needed the newer bios to fully support all the X6 features which could be the root of all your problems. Still no definite answer until some more investigating.

In your case, you can't remove the GPU since there is no onboard VGA, so kind of hard to rule that one out other than swapping it with another card.

Try pulling the HDD out and running a live linux disk to do a full memory test with no HDD in the box. It takes a really long time, but worth it if all the hardware is new and they are not fully tested components known to work. New != good every time. If the memory passes 100% then move on to the HDD and reinstall. If it shuts down again, check the bios and make sure things are set properly, like for the SATA settings. I know on mine, you can do the install, but when rebooting, it gets an error about not finding the hard disk until you change the settings in the BIOS to fix booting off the SATA, as SATA vs as PATA IDE. Forget what the name of the setting is called, but its a specific setting pertaining to SATA disks. I don't think that is the issue, but just to be safe double check.

BIOS has nothing to do with an OS being installed in order to flash it. The bios brings up the basic hardware, then hands over control to the OS, which then loads additional drivers for the rest of the detected hardware. The bios is detecting the hardware fine it seems, but when in the OS side, or trying to load drivers, something craps out, and my guess is possibly an outdated bios, but I'm not 100% confident thats the only issue, or even THE issue.

You can download bios updates that run off floppies, or even bootable media, thumb drives, etc. Easiest way to update is from within an installed OS if the mobo manufacturer has a utility to do from within the OS, but not every mobo manufacturer allows updating from within the OS itself. In your situation, you wouldn't be able to do it from the OS anyway, since you can't seem to get it installed.

Thing is, you still haven't determined where the issue lies yet. What you can do is get your bios info off the machine on boot, should be on the first screen you see or possibly even within the bios utility itself. Then go to the manufacturers site and see what the latest version is. if they say something like version 12 and your shipped with version 9, then yeah, safe to update at that point just to rule it out.

For shits and giggles, try installing linux. See what happens. You mentioned it crashed on the pelicanhpc boot disk, so probably not a windows related problem at this point anyway and more an issue with compatibility in hardware and what the OS is trying to communicate through it. Do some more testing and research on the bios, try the mem test, etc, see how far you get. The other thing to realize is something may just be failing and require a replacement, but hard to say what is failing at this point.

it worked! i didnt do anything different except plug the heatsink fan in(lol)

It explains very well, why your computer wouldn't boot up. CPU was overheating, but I wondered why it didn't beap. Normally when a cpu fan is not properly set up, the system halts and displays a message, saying that you fan speed is too low or not working.

Glad you got it working.

Doh! The mainboard probably detected a high temp and powered itself off. Yeah, not a very good way to treat a new 6 core CPU. They go POP when fail safes don't kick in and power them down. Like literally pop and explode.

Be careful, you could have destroyed the CPU and the Mobo in one shot: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG0sGugsv28&feature=related

Granted thats an older Duron, but still, your BIOS's temp monitor probably saved your ass in this case.