Power supply

Rocold

My power supply just died on my linux server. :(

Well I think it's the power supply. I will start it and it will boot up for awhile, then shutoff. Then every power up after that last a little bit less and then nothing at all. Also I smell a little burning from the back. I haven't touched this box in a couple of weeks, then want to mess with it and now this.

Where does everyone get cheap products online? I've used newegg, and pricewatch before.

I love newegg. Always the best (reputable) prices I can find.

Also make sure it's not overheating if it runs for a bit and then dies... sounds more like heat than a dodgy power supply (though it could be the PSU overheating)

After doing some checking, the fan for the power supply seems to have quit. Thats why it shuts off. So it is overheating, but because of the dodgy power supply.

Also might I suggest, if you don't buy a cheap PSU then perhaps it won't blow up (at least quickly).

This was a computer given to me. The person said it was too slow and sucked. But after getting rid of all the viruses and spyware on the system it turned out to be a pretty decent pc.

My power supply just died on my linux server. :(

Well I think it's the power supply. I will start it and it will boot up for awhile, then shutoff. Then every power up after that last a little bit less and then nothing at all. Also I smell a little burning from the back. I haven't touched this box in a couple of weeks, then want to mess with it and now this.

Where does everyone get cheap products online? I've used newegg, and pricewatch before.

mmm PSU could be the problem. Try replacing it with one of your other working PSU's before you buy a new one. Because this could also be a RAM problem. Check if the RAM sticks are the same. ie. same make or the same speed.

--- THIS POST BROUGHT TO YOU BY GODADDY.COM

mmm PSU could be the problem. Try replacing it with one of your other working PSU's before you buy a new one. Because this could also be a RAM problem. Check if the RAM sticks are the same. ie. same make or the same speed.

This computer has worked for about a year now. So it's not a RAM problem, unless one of them has gone bad. I found a cheap PSU on newegg, under $30 shipped isn't bad, plus it had decent reviews.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16817255010

I know what some of you have said about cheap PSUs but this is a spare box that I just play around on. Also I'm not taking the PSU out of my main box just to test whether it was the power supply or not.