help with upgrades

anyedie

ok, so im new to the whole inside a computer thing and am looking to do a little bit of upgrading on my notebook. I have a Dell Latitude D800 and ive been ramping it up a bit. dvd-r drive, more ram ect. but now im looking to get a new processor for it (1.7mhz with small cache just doesnt cut it anymore) but i really dont know what is what and what is most compatible with my computer or where not to get ripped off; so after many hours scouring the internet and not comming up with to terrably much and still unsure about any of it i decided to come to the friendly, nice, helpful people of hak5. Can anyone offer some good insight on a fast, reliable, quality processor that would work good with that dell?

ps. its mainly going to be used for photo/video editing/gaming

thanking you in advance

anyedie

You can remove anything on any laptop, you just have to take it completely apart.

You just can't get anything that isn't supported by the motherboard. So you say its 1.7mhz which i take it you mean 1.7GHz, so i'm guess that you have a Centrino or worse Celeron D.

You need to look at your documentation and manual, this will tell you what you can put in it. Your options will be servely limited. The most you will probably be able to do is get one which is the same but clocked slightly faster, but even then it probably won't be more than 400MHz speed increase.

But I don't think it'll really pointful, you'd be better off saving for a new laptop.

If you want to increase the speed, then considers formating XP regularly and install Gentoo running Fluxbox or some other lightweight Linux Distro.

Just wondered if the chips are solderd to the mobo or not. Yes it can be replaced, but its not going to be easy. I have a latitude but its an tiny thing with a ULV 1.4Ghz pentium m chip, and that looked like it was attached to the mobo when the tech was fixing it. I brief check on ebay seems to show D800 boards with a chip attached directly to it.

laptops are a pain in the anal sphincter to take apart, upgrade anything other than ram or disk drives, etc. is a hard. Since you said you are new to the inside a computer thing, I would suggest getting a new laptop if possible, and getting some experience with desktops, which are infinately easier to "operate" on. Good luck, btw.

Odd if it is soldered onto the motherboard, the only laptop i have seen like that was one with a Via C3 in which is really and embedded platform chip.

Then tend not to solder them in, because that has to be done at the factory and then they have to order X amount of a certain speed grade and Y amount of another speed grade. If everybody wants the X group and not the Y group they are left with a load of useless laptops they'll have to sell at a lower price.

I was going to take my x300 apart and have a look, but to be absoulutley honest with you, after taking out loads of screws I couldn't see how to get to the CPU easily. And since its still in warrenty I don't want to go any further. So as for upgrading the CPU in a laptop, I don't think its worth the effort.

theres no way i would even attempt to open up a laptop w/o alot of desktop experience (more room, more room to learn and not screw up)

to me, upgrading a laptops processer is like upgrading a mac "throw it out the window and buy a new one" its a quote, i dint say it, dont kill me.

theres no way i would even attempt to open up a laptop w/o alot of desktop experience (more room, more room to learn and not screw up)

Its easy if you have the service manuel, and that can usually be found on the internet.

I like servicing laptops more than desktops, because you know what you have got and everything fits together nicely.