Wikileaks Mass Mirro

Alias

I like this, but, donating a server to this is... dangerous, for a number of reason. First question I have is, can wikileaks be trusted? I want to say yes, but I can't because there are too many people and possibilities. I am aware that Julian him self was/is a cryptographer, however, that's not to say that every one in the organization takes security as serious as him. What if the details you gave wikileaks leaked... now some one has a bot net of some nature.

It would be much better (for security for the point of view of the mirror's host) if they did some thing like setup a SVN server with all the files public for download, then gave people scripts they could run to do a SVN download, and the script just downloaded updated files after the first download so as to eliminate some load. Then people could submit URLs for the mirrors to wikileaks, and there for create a mirroring system of some nature. This is just a primitive idea though.

I believe in the freedom of speech and the freedom of information and all that but I would like to warn everyone that I have been told that the US government is tracking all the visitors to the wikileaks site. As best they can that is lol. I don't know what all is on that site yet as I have yet to find a computer that I don't have issues with the fed watching. As i said I'm just givin this as a warning for those who are interested in looking.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of Assange, I mean he used to be a pretty cool guy, Cryptographer, Hacker, he wrote the first port scanner etc. But right now he just seems like an arrogant prick. I am however a fan of Wikileaks, and I have submitted my server to them with a user account for the upload. I just have to hope that there isn't another local Linux exploit anytime soon :P

With the US Government (and any other government that wants to stop this) issue, at current count there are over 300 mirrors already setup and this has only been going on for 24 hours. We aren't doing anything illegal here. If the the US government goes in and illegally pulls down the mirrors then that will just support Wikileaks' cause.

Same with Assange, he can't be touched at the moment for two reasons. Number one, he has that insurance file which may or may not be a bluff but nevertheless its a risk the US government cannot take. Number two, if he was assassinated/went missing then he would be a martyr which the government does not want.

In conclusion it's a very politically heavy issue....

For security and legality purposes, I would never offer my computer as a web server for hosting Wikileaks. Its not that, I don't like Wikileaks, but with the Authorities now watching and monitoring you never know, they could come knocking on your door without you realizing and arrest/charge you for complicity or whatever legal issue they may want to throw at you.

Guest Deleted_Account

Wikileaks was fine up till the moment they put Innocent lives in danger and as such I don't support that I do however support there issues with "freedom of speech" I just wish they hadn't released all those informants names and positions. Also the website is down so it doesn't look that promising right now. However I do hope that the government and wikileaks can come to a respectable agreement and knock off all of the "espionage" and "treason" charges.

It would be a lot easier to just use free web hosting sites to be a mirror, I seen on TPB the files are not that big in size except for the insurance file is around 1.5GB, could use megaupload, filedump or something like that linked to the free web hosted site via tinyurl.. but yeah like the others said it maybe illegal to share some of those documents.

Edited by 555

It would be a lot easier to just use free web hosting sites to be a mirror, I seen on TPB the files are not that big in size except for the insurance file is around 1.5GB, could use megaupload, filedump or something like that linked to the free web hosted site via tinyurl.. but yeah like the others said it maybe illegal to share some of those documents.

Yep, they will be in direct violation of the terms and agreements, if they host up Wikileaks content.

Edited by Infiltrator