Getting Ip Address With Kismet

aboka

Hi! I am new to BT4 and have learn howto break a WEP/WPA with no problem. And now trying with more advance setup like MAC filtering, etc. One thing i can't seems to crack is AP with its DHCP disabled. I have search the web and found out that Kismet could pickup the IP range. But i could not get it to work. I fire up Kismet and it will pickup all the AP it detects include my test AP. Kismet did picks up IPs(flashing on the bottom part), but how do i process the data and find the data i need??

Thank you in advance B)

Kismet can only get the IP addresses if the network is unencrypted, otherwise it can't look inside the packets.

If you have the WEP/WPA keys you can decrypt the pcap file with airdecap then open it in something like wireshark and manually read out the IPs.

If there is no traffic on a network then try common subnets, just give yourself a static IP somewhere in the middle of the range and try to send traffic to the top and bottom ends, that is where you generally find servers and routers.

Usually a wireless network could be set up with an IP address in one of the following ranges,

10.0.0.1 to .255

192.168.0.1 to .255

192.168.1.1 to .255

or 172.16.0.1 .255

Just a matter figuring out what range of IP address the network uses, just like Digininja suggested.

Edited by Infiltrator

Usually a wireless network could be set up with an IP address in one of the following ranges,

10.0.0.1 to .255

192.168.0.1 to .255

192.168.1.1 to .255

or 172.16.0.1 .255

Just a matter figuring out what range of IP address the network uses, just like Digininja suggested.

Thank you. I read this Private IP range on some website before, guess i will need to memorize them =)

Kismet can only get the IP addresses if the network is unencrypted, otherwise it can't look inside the packets.

If you have the WEP/WPA keys you can decrypt the pcap file with airdecap then open it in something like wireshark and manually read out the IPs.

If there is no traffic on a network then try common subnets, just give yourself a static IP somewhere in the middle of the range and try to send traffic to the top and bottom ends, that is where you generally find servers and routers.

Yes, i have the WEP key as it is my own wireless network. So how do i get Kismet to show the IP address? I could not find this info anywhere on the net.

*I will look into the second option - decrypt pcap file and using wireshark to read the IPs.

*I just start reading Hacking Kismet, but not sure if it will cover this.

Thank you,