Integrating Adito With Server 2008 Ad

G-Stress

Has anybody successfully installed Adito OpenVPN-als with server 2k8 AD? I'm stuck where it asks for Domain Service Account & Password. I guess I'm not sure what exactly I need here. I've tried all my user accounts, Local System, Local Service, Network Service, etc. it doesn't like a space in the name either.

I don't think its a domain account you have to login as, you will have to create an user account within Adito, if you want to be able to log into it.

I am pretty sure that's how Darren set up the user accounts.

I didn't watch the ep again yet, but I think Darren used the built in database for user accounts when he did it. As far as creating an account it doesn't give the option to do so until after that part of the setup it seems.

googling for some other forums relating to Adito hasn't turned up much of anything helpful. Seems most people installed using the built in db as well.

I'm gonna set up a virtual lab and get to the bottom of it. Will try to post the results in here in due time.

• 4 months later...

OK, here is what I found out:

At some point during the installation, it prompted me to configure a user database. Two options are available.

1) Active Directory

2) Built-in

I selected the first option, since I am running a domain controller. The next thing you will need to ensure, is that when configuring Adito to interact with the Active Directory, is that all the domain settings correct, or other wise Adito will not be able to communicate with the active directory.

Since the AD is being used, all users account shall be maintained via the "User and Computers Active Directory". If that's not that case, just select the second option and remember to create the user accounts within Aditos admin interface, not the domain controller AD.

Hope this helps.

Sweet! Glad you got it up and going. I used it for a bit with AD, but the downside is apparently it doesn't dynamically update the User's or Groups. e.g. whatever user's and groups you have on the DC when implementing adito is what you get to work with in adito. If you create a new user or group, adito may see that user or group after some time, but it won't let you log-in with that user, or make any changes to that group on the adito side.

I ended up going with the built in. A little more work managing everything in AD and in Adito, but it works. I'm sure fixing the group and user issue may be simple I actually didn't even research it. If you do and get it working I'd love to know the fix.

Sweet! Glad you got it up and going. I used it for a bit with AD, but the downside is apparently it doesn't dynamically update the User's or Groups. e.g. whatever user's and groups you have on the DC when implementing adito is what you get to work with in adito. If you create a new user or group, adito may see that user or group after some time, but it won't let you log-in with that user, or make any changes to that group on the adito side.

I ended up going with the built in. A little more work managing everything in AD and in Adito, but it works. I'm sure fixing the group and user issue may be simple I actually didn't even research it. If you do and get it working I'd love to know the fix.

I don't mind Adito, but OpenVPN makes things simpler and easier for me to work with.