4chan Users Try To Ddos Tumblr, Tumblrs Raid 4chan In Revenge

okiwan

Why were 4chan users going to try and DDoS tumblr?

Sites like the RIAA, MPAA or the BPI I can understand because of disagreements on how to tackle online piracy.

I can understand the raids against Scientology as they disagree with their politics and methods.

But what has Tumblr done? On the issues that 4chan usually likes to concern itself with, I think Tumblr are quite neutral on those subjects.

I do not think any attack will come to anything however. While the RIAA, MPAA, BPI or Scientology may serve many users, I doubt they will have anything like the network infrastructure that Tumblr has, considering it would need to be serving dynamic content to thousands of users simultaneously.

EDIT: It seems a revenge-DDoS took place by Tumblr users against 4chan, however it only took out the main page and not any of the boards. Tumblr is still up, but some reports of a slowdown. Result: Users of both services get annoyed. Winner: None.

Edited by DarkBlueBox

Guest Deleted_Account
Why were 4chan users going to try and DDoS tumblr?

Sites like the RIAA, MPAA or the BPI I can understand because of disagreements on how to tackle online piracy.

I can understand the raids against Scientology as they disagree with their politics and methods.

But what has Tumblr done? On the issues that 4chan usually likes to concern itself with, I think Tumblr are quite neutral on those subjects.

I do not think any attack will come to anything however. While the RIAA, MPAA, BPI or Scientology may serve many users, I doubt they will have anything like the network infrastructure that Tumblr has, considering it would need to be serving dynamic content to thousands of users simultaneously.

EDIT: It seems a revenge-DDoS took place by Tumblr users against 4chan, however it only took out the main page and not any of the boards. Tumblr is still up, but some reports of a slowdown. Result: Users of both services get annoyed. Winner: None.

These people should be found and prosecuted seriously. They are doing nothing more then making "hackers" as a whole look bad. Cyber Criminals should be shut down, their justification also fail mainly because they claim it's legal just like a normal protest in real life... Oh wait if a protest interurpts someones business and cause them to lose money (Like a DDos) then it is indeed IlLEGAL!

/rant

These people should be found and prosecuted seriously. They are doing nothing more then making "hackers" as a whole look bad. Cyber Criminals should be shut down, their justification also fail mainly because they claim it's legal just like a normal protest in real life... Oh wait if a protest interurpts someones business and cause them to lose money (Like a DDos) then it is indeed IlLEGAL!

/rant

I agree.

Can I just point out that in my previous post, I wasn't advocating their actions, I was simply saying I saw their motives, and that as far as I am aware, these attacks are motiveless really and are spawned out of a simple dislike.

ANONYMOUS, that ultra-dangerous hacker gang (skiddies) who strike from their super-secret internet board (4chan)! :lol:

(to those few who probably haven't seen this ridiculous news story already)

4chan is great for a laugh and producing or accelerating 99% of the memes on the Internet....but this is pretty much the norm as far as their "hacking" abilities go (ie, crude DDoS attacks).

I love 4chan, its the sheer bizarreness of the haphazard chaos they spread that makes them so loveable.

...They are doing nothing more then making "hackers" as a whole look bad.

Mate, hackers hackers have had a bad name since the 80's, all this song and dance about colored hats and crackers/hackers is being conducted in a empty stable with doors that fell off 2 decades ago.

Guest Deleted_Account
I agree.

Can I just point out that in my previous post, I wasn't advocating their actions, I was simply saying I saw their motives, and that as far as I am aware, these attacks are motiveless really and are spawned out of a simple dislike.

Yeah I didn't even notice I quoted lol sorry about that!

Hate to admit it but VaKo's right, people have though nothing good of hackers for many many years and I don't see it getting any better. I think its mostly the fault of the media, at least in the current generation. Any time technology is involved in the media you hear something along...

"A grade school hacker accessed hundreds of web cams by hacking into Google today!"

FU****K The media! :)

I agree but none-the-less it is people like this that give the generalization that haking is bad and anyone that does it is bad too. A good example is those who believe Jailbreaking is wrong, bad, and infests your phone/device with spyware and should be illegal (Due to media hype no doubt).

I agree but none-the-less it is people like this that give the generalization that haking is bad and anyone that does it is bad too. A good example is those who believe Jailbreaking is wrong, bad, and infests your phone/device with spyware and should be illegal (Due to media hype no doubt).

This is nothing but hyperbole. Apple wanted to make Jailbreaking illegal under the DMCA, but the US Gov ruled against this, making it legal. No one outside of Apple thinks it should be made illegal, and most people don't care. People see hackers as a wide ranging field that includes people doing things that are slightly naughty/odd, all the way to the bad guys in Die Hard 4, but they don't hate us. They just view us as the slightly odd people who remind them of the cast of The Big Bang Theory, who might possibly get them free stuff, and who use incomprehensible technology to accomplish seemly meaningless tasks. The actions of 4Chan don't change this opinion, any more than the actions of 419ers do.

Guest Deleted_Account
This is nothing but hyperbole. Apple wanted to make Jailbreaking illegal under the DMCA, but the US Gov ruled against this, making it legal. No one outside of Apple thinks it should be made illegal, and most people don't care. People see hackers as a wide ranging field that includes people doing things that are slightly naughty/odd, all the way to the bad guys in Die Hard 4, but they don't hate us. They just view us as the slightly odd people who remind them of the cast of The Big Bang Theory, who might possibly get them free stuff, and who use incomprehensible technology to accomplish seemly meaningless tasks. The actions of 4Chan don't change this opinion, any more than the actions of 419ers do.

Ahmen. I revoke my comment :P Your comparision is awesome.

Actually, this is beginning to become rather common among them. On the 11th (or 12th early morning) I decided to go to 4chan (as it kinda scares me lol) and I came upon a post that they had initiated against the muslim website that the protesting muslims had set up. I lold as I read through it but it appeared for a minute or two that they did take down the site. I left after a couple minutes so I dont know if they fully succeeded. As it goes though, they seem to think that they have become all powerful because people feel accepted when they do "group activities".

"Our attacks and fear campaigns have been working quite excellently so far. Tumblr has had it too good for too long and now they are finally regretting their cancerous ways. We are trolling them hard. Now have just to finally end it all

and declare victory."

Hope they get caught and rot in jail. What are these people thinking?

In my opinion, its just the outcasts of the internet trying to feel accepted by banding together themselves to form the over-stretched anus of the internet.

Their DDoS attacks don't really have any affect at all beyond making them feel important and making them think that they can influence things on a global scale when in reality, they are at the bottom of the totem pole.

Sure, they took down the RIAA, MPAA, BPI and Scientology websites for an hour or so, and even managed to slow down Tumblr, but as far as I am aware, all these organisations still exist and are operating as normal. Their users may have been slightly annoyed for the duration, but will be back using their services again and will have probably forgotten the incident ever happened (or may not have even know it was a DDoS and thought it was just some down time).

Its not outcasts, it's kids. And there isn't one of us here who hasn't done something stupid with computers in our youth, and if we're actually honest about this, the reason we have our geek wings now is a direct result of these actions.