16 Gpu Monster :)

Trip

Not only its insane, but it will be able to handle any game title that someone might want to throw at it. Besides it should also be able to crack any complexity of passwords.

Very impressive rig.

Not only its insane, but it will be able to handle any game title that someone might want to throw at it.

Not necessarily. In these machines the cards are never put in SLI, so playing a game on it would only allow it to use a single card. In addition, in these systems the cards usually use a 8x bus speed (as opposed to 16x bus speed) purely because there aren't any motherboards that exist that can support more than 4 graphics cards without having to reduce the over all bus speed. This reduction in bus speed will have a significant impact in game performance. For simply shifting data in a non time constrained fashion 8x is fine.

Not necessarily. In these machines the cards are never put in SLI, so playing a game on it would only allow it to use a single card. In addition, in these systems the cards usually use a 8x bus speed (as opposed to 16x bus speed) purely because there aren't any motherboards that exist that can support more than 4 graphics cards without having to reduce the over all bus speed. This reduction in bus speed will have a significant impact in game performance. For simply shifting data in a non time constrained fashion 8x is fine.

They can still put in SLI, but yeah you are right currently there is no motherboard that can support 4 graphics card simultaneously. I forgot about that one.

They can still put in SLI, but yeah you are right currently there is no motherboard that can support 4 graphics card simultaneously. I forgot about that one.

As far as I know, the Fastra supports all the cards simultaneously but they have 1 card for the main system video, while the other cards do the workload of the computations for their work. I wouldn't be surprised if part of the MIT work was based on what was done with Fastra.

Oh, I forget there is also the Atlas:

23 GPUs -

32 GPUs -

Edited by digip

As far as I know, the Fastra supports all the cards simultaneously but they have 1 card for the main system video, while the other cards do the workload of the computations for their work. I wouldn't be surprised if part of the MIT work was based on what was done with Fastra.

23 GPUs -

32 GPUs -

The Atlas looks amazing. Thanks for sharing.

23 GPUs -

32 GPUs -

The only issue, I see with Quad Sli is the motherboard, you may be able to configure 4 graphics card together but the BUS speed on the motherboard will definitely be the limiting factor.

I like that case already. How much would it cost though?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuCDPW68nYc

Dell make a rack mountable 16x GPGPU box, no need for a custom build. You can just fill a DC with these things.

That's nice, but that box has a limitation that to use all 16 you need a minimum of 4 computers attached to it. The fastra and similar can use all 8 from a single computer and OS. Obviously the fastra and similar lack other things like redundancy.

Dell make Poweredge C servers, like the C6100. Which is essentially 4 servers in a 2U case. So for every C410x, you would need a C6100.

But still, these things do demonstrate that what was once the realm of governments and university's can now be achieved with a relatively modest investment in off the self hardware.

Dell make Poweredge C servers, like the C6100. Which is essentially 4 servers in a 2U case. So for every C410x, you would need a C6100.

But still, these things do demonstrate that what was once the realm of governments and university's can now be achieved with a relatively modest investment in off the self hardware.

I do wonder the vast complexity of the BIOS on a device like that. First off, hot swappable graphics cards wtf. Then, Fail over redundancy graphics cards wtf. Then, controlling which computers have access to which card wtf. Like most things I'm sure it's very easy if you actually wrote the software that makes it work.

I do wonder the vast complexity of the BIOS on a device like that. First off, hot swappable graphics cards wtf. Then, Fail over redundancy graphics cards wtf. Then, controlling which computers have access to which card wtf. Like most things I'm sure it's very easy if you actually wrote the software that makes it work.

This is not a fact but a theory, those guys could be involved with some big names companies to help them achieve their goal.

Besides in the build of Fastra, the engineers did have some issues and they had to turn to Asus for help, to address some BIOS issues.