Thinking About Setting Up Some Linux Servers

BlueWyvern

I have a connection that can get me some laptops at an inexpensive price, I was thinking about setting them up and just letting them run...

The short version is this...

Do you guys think its worth having one running the latest Ubuntu for misc things like tunneling and other general learning (basically a box I can destroy, reformat, and learn more about linux on) and the other running running BackTrack 4 R1 so I can just transfer capture files to it and keep my rainbow tables and everything on it.

Thoughts? Opinions?

I would probably do that same as Vako suggested. If you have a very fast computer at home and plenty of ram just use ESXI to create Virtual Machines. You can run several VMs off the same hardware, saving you hardware costs and electricity bills.

For the backtrack side of the story, if you have a laptop just install backtrack on it, easy for portability and very handy when going war driving.

it was more of I could get some P4 laptops for 100 bucks or so each idk what I could get an optiplex for.

as far as the backtrack, I wanted to keep it on a separate machine so that I could upload my packet captures and let it run on a brute force and generate new rainbow tables.

let's face it, not every SSID is going to be found online from the church of wifi or other places. And even then, the key may not be in the dictionary used to generate the table. This is why I was thinking another machine I can leave running indefinitely would be the best solution.

Also a large chunk of the processor would be used to generate some of my own tables. Which is why I think virtualization might defeat the purpose of having these boxes

I'm new and just offering my .02 so feel free to disregard anything I say. It depends what you want to do. If you just want to play around with linux and dont plan on running any services then vmware workstation would be a good option. If you plan on running services like httpd or email or ftp then i would just do a local install on a box. Now a days just about any hardware you can throw together will be supported by some version of *nix which is not the case with esxi v4. Also are you going to want to run them headless?

Edited by d3c0n

I'm new and just offering my .02 so feel free to disregard anything I say. It depends what you want to do. If you just want to play around with linux and dont plan on running any services then vmware workstation would be a good option. If you plan on running services like httpd or email or ftp then i would just do a local install on a box. Now a days just about any hardware you can throw together will be supported by some version of *nix which is not the case with esxi v4. Also are you going to want to run them headless?

yeah the general idea was to set up ssh on a Backtrack 4 box, and then have that accessible through my NAT. I go out find some wireless networks, perhaps ones I have a rainbow table for already or not I can start a screen session and logout, go back to what im doing etc etc

yea i would just load a native version of bt4 on one of the laptops i assume it has wifi already, if you use an ethernet connections to connect it to your network you could theoretically ssh from anywhere to that box and do some wireless work when ever you want. After a few simple port forwards of course. As far as the other box ubuntu i believe you said, i would run it native as well depending on how fast the laptops are. With vmware im not sure bt4 will be able to access the wifi adapter or not, it might be worth playing around with. Personally i just take all the bits and parts i have lying around to make my test boxes(I copied hak5 with their plexi comp.)

yea i would just load a native version of bt4 on one of the laptops i assume it has wifi already, if you use an ethernet connections to connect it to your network you could theoretically ssh from anywhere to that box and do some wireless work when ever you want. After a few simple port forwards of course. As far as the other box ubuntu i believe you said, i would run it native as well depending on how fast the laptops are. With vmware im not sure bt4 will be able to access the wifi adapter or not, it might be worth playing around with. Personally i just take all the bits and parts i have lying around to make my test boxes(I copied hak5 with their plexi comp.)

ehh the wifi isnt really needed for scanning its more of keeping the rainbow tables somewhere remote and just being able to upload a cap file to the machine and let it rock n roll, I think I might just for now get the one box to run BT4 and if i find I need a separate box for actual other linux use get it then. and as for a linux box i can break without worry I think im going to run a virtual machine using VMWare player

Thanks for all the input guys