Why So Many Ipv6 Addresses?

Iain

No, I don't mean why 2^128 addresses, that bit's easy!

Like many here, I've been aware of IPv6 for a while but the last few episodes have focussed my mind. In the most recent episode, Joe Klein said that each device/adapter will have up to 5 IPv6 addresses. As far as I know, there will be a Link Local (FE80) which is the equivalent of IPv4 APIPA, a Unique Local (FC00) which is non-routable on the internet and the equivalent of an RFC1918 address and there will be a Global address which will be visible publicly. There may also be a Tunnel address (2001 or 2002), depending upon the configuration.

As the Link Local and Unique Local addresses appear to relate only to the LAN and are generated automatically, why need both?

I'm just starting to get my head around IPv6 and I suspect there are members here who understand more, for instance by administering a Windows 2008 network.

Edited by Iain

I am kind of getting confused with this new IP address scheme. I know it supports a lot more network and hosts IDs, but there are certain aspects of it, that I'm gonna have to research into it to understand it better.

By the way, thanks for posting that up. I think we're gonna have a good discussion on this topic.

Edited by Infiltrator