Best Free Remote Assistance?

I have a family member that is older and got their very first computer. I tried to help them today for like 2 hours on the phone and it is impossible lol, I tried to have him set up tight vnc server, so I could log on to his pc and that was a failure. Can anyone recommend a very easy way (free) so I can log on to their pc, built in windows remote assistance? They are running windows xp. The person is like a caveman when it comes to computer, like think of trying to help your 80 yr old grandfather with fixing the audio driver on his pc lol, I want to just log in and fix it real quick for him, very far drive to go fix it physically.

The only easy to use remote assistance I can think of is, GotoAssist its not free but its valid for 30 days I believe.

However there is also team viewer, http://www.teamviewer.com/index.aspx

I use team viewer, mainly because it bypasses firewalls and I can talk someone through setting it up over the phone. They also have a portable version you just slap it on a thumbdrive and gives you encrypted remote access, has VPN capabilities, secure file transfer, etc.

Yes, teamviewer is really good, it has versions for linux, windows, mac and even for iphone/ipod touch It also possible to use teamviewer in lan or wlan ant then its super fast, when using home network ips