Public Wifi

rawkus1020

could someone point me in the right direction on how to set up a public wifi for a bar

things i need

set user quotas

keep office computers away from hackers

easy to configure (for staff)

im running windows 7 (running a virtual machine could be option if no good software for win 7)

and would like to use existing router but can upgrade if needed

you could probably just use a DD-WRT compatible router... if you only want people to connect and go without any kind of authentication or charge that's easy... otherwise you need other software to handle that... DD-WRT supports a HTTP Redirect for that.

easy setup if you dont need them to pay and its just connect and go... simply turn on wifi, secure it with a key or not and just have the key in the menu when people order or something like that. configure the VLAN settings so that the wifi is separate from the wired network and viola!

edit: oh I almost forgot, be sure to disable "Wireless GUI Access" so they cannot access the router configuration page.

Edited by BlueWyvern

so with dd-wrt can i set user quotas would like to limit this

as bandwidth is expensive in new zealand

dont want them downloading there latest list of torrents for the price of a beer lol

plus authentication would be good so the clients have to ask for password

as there are rival bars as neighbors

so would like to give access to only my clients that ask for it

Edited by rawkus1020

I am pretty sure you can control the bandwidth with D-WRT. Also as an advise you might want to rethink, whether you should charge or not for the internet usage.

If I was setting up a wireless hotspot, for public access I would definitely charge them a fee for using it. Internet is so expensive here in Australia that sharing is not worth it.

Thats my thought by the way.

I am pretty sure you can control the bandwidth with D-WRT. Also as an advise you might want to rethink, whether you should charge or not for the internet usage.

If I was setting up a wireless hotspot, for public access I would definitely charge them a fee for using it. Internet is so expensive here in Australia that sharing is not worth it.

Thats my thought by the way.

nice point maybe once they hit there 100mb quota

then if they want to continue surfing then they pay per GB used

nice point maybe once they hit there 100mb quota

then if they want to continue surfing then they pay per GB used

Fair point, l like your idea.