Acer Atom ?

Trip

i have an acer atom ... tiny laptop i've been asked to fix ... i didnt realise it doesnt have a cd drive !!! lol

whats the best plan for reinstalling the os ? can i package the xp cd on a usb stick ?

help please .... i've searched google but havnt found a solution yet

.... the computer will boot almost to the point where the cursor is visible

then it blue screens temporarily and then restarts

any suggestions appreciated ;)

edit ...

just found this ... :D will give it a go

http://www.pctipsbox.com/installing-window...sb-flash-drive/

Edited by Trip

The easiest way is to acquire a USB cd drive. you can actually boot off of them. I have 2 flash drives, one with windows 7 32-bit RTM(all editions) and another that is 64-bit. they were also pretty easy to make. I dont know how much of an option it is, but you can always try out eeebuntu(a linux distro designed specifically for netbooks)

edit: here is the tutorial I used for windows 7

Edited by eovnu87435ds

wicked dude cheers for the advice :D

... im going to try the usb stick first if that fails ... ill grab a usb cd drive from the pc market next week

Edited by Trip

you can boot off any flash drive. you just burn the ISO to the flash drive an plug it in an start 'er up. hit what ever key you need to get to the boot loader, tab, esc, F2, what ever. pick the flash drive an it will run the install.

lol that just sounds tooooo easy ...

but ill give it a try :D

You could also use a device I use constantly. I do not remember the name of the device, I had bought it on tigerdirect years ago. What it does is make any IDE/SATA peripheral become an external device VIA USB. Supports like said both IDE and SATA. CD/DVD drives, HDD, HDD that go into laptops, ZIP Drives, etc. I have used the hell out of mine since I had bought it. It is made by Vantec.

HERE

Edited by K33BZ

if your using ubuntu:

In the main menu, go to System > Administration and open 'Startup Disk Creator'

Click 'Other' to choose the downloaded ISO file

Select the file and click 'Open'

Select the USB stick in the bottom box and click 'Make Startup Disk'

That's it! When the process completes, you'll be ready to restart your computer and begin installing

http://wintoflash.com/home/en/

unetbootin didnt work dont know if it was a problem with the iso i made so i might try n give it another go if ^^^^^ doesnt work

this method worked flawlessly ! :D

thanks for all the advice ... unetbootin is more angled @ linux distros ... wintoflash was simple and hassle free

worked with windows xp sp3 install disk ;)

ah i see what you mean. all my methods work only for linux ISO's. so i ended up burning it to a cd, then plugging in an external cd drive to the netbook and booting off that. i was on windows only for a night so far an i cant stand it. tomorrow the two linux partitions go back on, an windows only gets loaded if its a must.

yeah im going to buy a usb cd drive an install windows later ... it now has linux on it

.... and mdo you know the ironic thing windows failed after 7 attempts installing via usb ... linux worked 1st time no errors lol, ;)

MDT2010, you can make USB/CD/Network installable versions of XP/2003/Vista/2008/W7/2008 R2 plus pre-load drivers, applications etc. It's what we use for creating images where I work. We deploy via WDS, but you can just deploy by USB using the same method as the win7 USB tutorial.