Ssl Verification Failing On Irc.hak5.org

dusf

I'm able to connect to the server fine on regular ports without SSL.

http://www.hak5.org/w/index.php/IRC lists the SSL port as 6697 but when I have SSL enabled and try to connect on this port i cannot.

With SSL enabled for port 7000 I am able to connect, but when I try to set:

ssl_verify = "yes"

irssi returns:

09:35 -!- Irssi: warning Could not verify SSL servers certificate: self signed certificate
09:35 -!- Irssi: warning   Subject : /C=US/ST=New York/O=AwesomeIRC/OU=IRCd/CN=Irc3.AwesomeIRC.Net
09:35 -!- Irssi: warning   Issuer  : /C=US/ST=New York/O=AwesomeIRC/OU=IRCd/CN=Irc3.AwesomeIRC.Net
09:35 -!- Irssi: warning   MD5 Fingerprint : 41:79:5F:C3:20:35:9B:1C:8C:D6:E1:93:6E:7C:26:75
09:35 [hak5] -!- Irssi: Connection lost to irc.hak5.org

Is SSL weaker without SSL_verify, and should it be working on port 7000?

Also, I know security on IRC isn't a major issue and you may think why bother with SSL for it, but I'm learning and thus is the reason for my post.

Edited by dusf

The reason why you are receiving warnings, is because the security certificate hasn't been verified by a Certificate Authority like VeriSign. On the other hand, it has been self-created or generated by someone other than a Certificate Authority. In addition security certificates must be purchased if you want them to be valid.

Furthermore by default SSL uses port 443 to function, you can however change that default port to whatever number you like. In the case of IRC.Hak5.org, they are using 7000.

Edited by Infiltrator

Hak5 has also changed IRC servers many times, and I am not even sure the REV3 servers offer the TLS functionality that the older IRC service had(if it ever had). Would be a question best answered on the REV3 forums.

The reason why you are receiving warnings, is because the security certificate hasn't been verified by a Certificate Authority like VeriSign. On the other hand, it has been self-created or generated by someone other than a Certificate Authority. In addition security certificates must be purchased if you want them to be valid.

Furthermore by default SSL uses port 443 to function, you can however change that default port to whatever number you like. In the case of IRC.Hak5.org, they are using 7000.

IRC SSL defaults to 6669 AFAIK. HTTP SSL defaults to 443.

IRC SSL defaults to 6669 AFAIK. HTTP SSL defaults to 443.

My first impression was that, they were already occupying port 443 with SSL and since it was occupied they may have decided to run another SSL service on port 7000.

But now that you cleared that up then its all good.

Thanks dude.

Edited by Infiltrator