Sleep Better, Less Eye Strain Etc...

okiwan

http://www.stereopsis.com/flux/

im running this now, its pretty nice. it adjusts to the time of day. its good for people who are online real late at night an the white background of pages like this one is blinding you. it also keep the mouse pointer at the regular color so it stands out nicely.

Ever notice how people texting at night have that eerie blue glow?

Or wake up ready to write down the Next Great Idea, and get blinded by your computer screen?

During the day, computer screens look good—they're designed to look like the sun. But, at 9PM, 10PM, or 3AM, you probably shouldn't be looking at the sun.

f.lux

F.lux fixes this: it makes the color of your computer's display adapt to the time of day, warm at night and like sunlight during the day.

It's even possible that you're staying up too late because of your computer. You could use f.lux because it makes you sleep better, or you could just use it just because it makes your computer look better.

f.lux makes your computer screen look like the room you're in, all the time. When the sun sets, it makes your computer look like your indoor lights. In the morning, it makes things look like sunlight again.

Tell f.lux what kind of lighting you have, and where you live. Then forget about it. F.lux will do the rest, automatically.

Guest Deleted_Account

Darn wont install on Ubuntu 10.10 dpkg gives an error :/

dpkg-deb (subprocess): data: internal gzip read error: '<fd:0>: invalid distance too far back'
dpkg-deb: subprocess <decompress> returned error exit status 2
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/fluxgui_1.1.8_all.deb (--unpack):
 short read on buffer copy for backend dpkg-deb during `./usr/bin/xflux'
Errors were encountered while processing:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/fluxgui_1.1.8_all.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

Great post though!

Darn wont install on Ubuntu 10.10 dpkg gives an error :/

dpkg-deb (subprocess): data: internal gzip read error: '<fd:0>: invalid distance too far back'
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/fluxgui_1.1.8_all.deb (--unpack):
 short read on buffer copy for backend dpkg-deb during `./usr/bin/xflux'
 /var/cache/apt/archives/fluxgui_1.1.8_all.deb

Great post though!

im running it on ubuntu 10.10 just fine.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kilian/f.lux
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install fluxgui

i had an issue with apt-get update not working for some strange reason. after google helped me fix that it installed smoothly.

Edited by okiwan

Guest Deleted_Account
im running it on ubuntu 10.10 just fine.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kilian/f.lux
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install fluxgui

i had an issue with apt-get update not working for some strange reason. after google helped me fix that it installed smoothly.

Yeah turns out I am having an issue with apt-get too how did you fix it? I can't find anything that works:/

Guest Deleted_Account
you have to remove the lock. what is the error its giving you?

(Reading database ... 150584 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace libedataserverui1.2-8 2.30.3-2ubuntu1 (using .../libedataserverui1.2-8_2.30.3-2ubuntu2_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libedataserverui1.2-8 ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libedataserverui1.2-8_2.30.3-2ubuntu2_i386.deb (--unpack):
 short read on buffer copy for backend dpkg-deb during `./usr/share/doc/libedataserverui1.2-8/copyright'
No apport report written because MaxReports is reached already
                                                              Preparing to replace libegroupwise1.2-13 2.30.3-2ubuntu1 (using .../libegroupwise1.2-13_2.30.3-2ubuntu2_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libegroupwise1.2-13 ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libegroupwise1.2-13_2.30.3-2ubuntu2_i386.deb (--unpack):
 short read on buffer copy for backend dpkg-deb during `./usr/share/doc/libegroupwise1.2-13/copyright'
                                                              Preparing to replace libgdata-google1.2-1 2.30.3-2ubuntu1 (using .../libgdata-google1.2-1_2.30.3-2ubuntu2_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement libgdata-google1.2-1 ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libgdata-google1.2-1_2.30.3-2ubuntu2_i386.deb (--unpack):
 short read on buffer copy for backend dpkg-deb during `./usr/share/doc/libgdata-google1.2-1/copyright'
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libedataserverui1.2-8_2.30.3-2ubuntu2_i386.deb
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libegroupwise1.2-13_2.30.3-2ubuntu2_i386.deb
 /var/cache/apt/archives/libgdata-google1.2-1_2.30.3-2ubuntu2_i386.deb

That's when I upgrade when I install it just repeats the package and says "E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)" So I can't upgrade or install anything :/ I have tried everything from clearing the cache manually to rm-ing the cache directory and using -force options nothing works :/