Give Us The Keys To Your Pc, Says Telstra

Infiltrator

HOW badly does your PC have to behave before you'll let a Telstra staff member take control of it?

That's the question customers of Australia's biggest telco will face, after it today announced its help desk consultants will now have remote access to computers and smartphones to fix common technical support issues.

However, an information security expert warned that handing control of our personal computers to anonymous Telstra IT workers was a bad idea.

In a worst-case scenario, a customer service worker could put a "root kit" in your computer and discover all your passwords, RMIT University senior lecturer in information security, Dr Asha Rao, said.

"Anybody could get to the essence, to the heart and lungs of your computer," she said.

"There will be a better way in the future, there should be a better way and must be a better way.

"For useability it's fantastic, but from a privacy and security point of view it is a minefield - how do you control it?

"What laws are in place to protect somebody from infiltration, from 'model police' who decide what information you can and cannot have?"

Or maybe you should consider the case of US woman Tara Fitzgerald, who in August claimed her life was "violated" by an online Dell technician.

Ms Fitzgerald said several weeks after she asked a technician based in Mumbai to help her locate "very private photos", they were posted on a web page dedicated to her.

That started a spiral of events that ended up with Ms Fitzgerald buying a new computer and sending it to the technician, who then used her account details to buy another computer for his girlfriend, according to US ABC News.

Dr Rao said while many Australians would have been exposed at work to the technology being used by IT help teams, they also agree to use those computers under certain conditions.

Those conditions don't apply at home, she said.

She said another possibility was that a Telstra worker might discover a customer has illegally downloaded information - such as movies or music - that breaches copyright and therefore breaches a contract with the telco.

"The Government might also bring in laws requiring Telstra to report that," she said.

"It is better to have somebody you know looking at your computer."

The service will allow staff to get inside the computer and fix things themselves rather than "troubleshoot" with customers with "limited technical knowledge", Telstra said.

"We understand that for some people, explaining the problem can be a major hurdle and this new tool helps bridge the distance between technical support staff and our customers," Rebekah O'Flaherty, Telstra's consumer executive director, said.

She said the remote access tool was one of many changes being implemented as a result of feedback programs involving more than 700,000 Australians.

"Customer trials reveal this new approach reduces the average time it takes to resolve support issues and will increase the number of cases resolved on the first call," she said.

Source: http://www.news.com.au/technology/give-us-...0-1225943542754

I do agree to an extend, however there is always the chance of the technician doing something bad behind your back, without you even realizing. I mean, where I work we use a lot remote desktop support and we also employ other ways to get into a clients computer without them knowing, you've been inside their computer or not.

So to an extend I would not trust someone remoting into my PC.

So to an extend I would not trust someone remoting into my PC.

I completely agree, I normally fix all my and family/friends computer issues so having Telstra sniffing around my PC wouldn't be a problem, plus the likelyhood that Telstra would give Linux support is pretty slim.

I can just imagine now...

Telstra Employee: "So all I need you to do now is click on your Start Menu, go to Accessories and then click on Remote Assistance."

Me: "I don't have a Start Menu, I'm using Linux (puts on Sunglasses, backflips onto motorbike and rides off into the distance)"

I don't know about any of you, but why in the hell would you want your ISP fixing your machine? Also, most ISP's so called "customer service" people know shit about computers, and I'm always amazed they can even keep their jobs. For instance, my ISP had FLASHED my modem. Problem is, I OWN IT!!! I don't rent one from the ISP. I called to complain and get a hold of someone at the ISP, and customer service kept trying to tell me it was a Linksys issue, that I had to contact them. There are no update control panels from the client side, and they had flashed it with older, buggy firmware that was actually causing me connection issues.

I spent days calling back trying to get through the channels that be till one day, I finally spoke with the only person who actually knew what I was talking about, because he himself happened to know something about computers and the fact that ONLY THE ISP could have flashed the cable modem. Needless to say, within a few days, it had been fixed, but I would NEVER trust my ISP to do ANYTHING with my personal computer. Ever.

Hell, I get spam from my own ISP trying to pedal Norton and McAfee to me, and have even gotten scare tactic notices about my network being part of a bot-net and needed to have my system scanned for malware, using one of their free products. What a crock of shit.

I just realised:

If your internet connection isn't working, which would be why you're calling your ISP 90% of the time, how the hell do they remotely control it? Psychokinesis?

Good point you made there, they are always trying to find a fault/problem at our ends. When in fact the problem lies at their end.

I used to be with Telstra for years and one day, I noticed my internet connection speed dropping. So I went and did a major overhaul at my network, phone line and my computer. That did not fix my problem, called those fuckers up and they kept on saying that the problem was with my computer.

So I went and signed up with a different ISP which solved my problem.

So I went and signed up with a different ISP which solved my problem.
Thats what we did, but sad to say, Comcast has its ups and downs as well. They throttle our connections and do lots of drops on the line. We're a bit heavy on the usage, between Netflix and gaming, but no torrents or shit going 24/7 like most people in my area. We're not consuming near their limit per month, yet we have all kinds of issues with them.

All ISP's are the same though, they always give you some BS about how its a problem at your end.

Thats what we did, but sad to say, Comcast has its ups and downs as well. They throttle our connections and do lots of drops on the line. We're a bit heavy on the usage, between Netflix and gaming, but no torrents or shit going 24/7 like most people in my area. We're not consuming near their limit per month, yet we have all kinds of issues with them.

All ISP's are the same though, they always give you some BS about how its a problem at your end.

I've been with my new ISP for over a year now, I consider myself an extremely heavy user when it comes to downloads. I have a 25gb plan with speeds of 24Mbits and I am always exceeding that limit. The good thing I like about my ISP is that I can always buy data blocks and my account will never get shaped up.

Now the downside is obviously the cost of buying that, and on the other hand that's one of the disadvantages of living in a country where internet speeds are shit and the ISP fees are so high.

I'd just like to say........INTERNODE FOR THE FUCKING WIN.

How long have you been with Internode for?

Internode, iiNet and Westnet (owned by iiNet) are the top 3.

Why oh why do I have to be lumped with Optusnet?

As a matter of fact I am with Internode and they rock. Never had a problem with them.

How long have you been with Internode for?

Umm, probably around 4 - 5 years although I'm not sure exactly.

I've never had a problem with them at all and they have brilliant Customer Service and Broadband Service as well. They might not be the cheapest but they're certainly worth the money.

Umm, probably around 4 - 5 years although I'm not sure exactly.

I've never had a problem with them at all and they have brilliant Customer Service and Broadband Service as well. They might not be the cheapest but they're certainly worth the money.

If they could drop the prices and increase the monthly quota that would make the plans more affordable and above all an exceptional service provider.